Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Using Power Points

Have you found there to be a big difference between using very tech oriented Power Points and ones that are less visual and more word oriented as far as student interest and retention of information?

Less visual, because the students get bored.

Very tech oriented Power Points are usually better tools as they allow you to find the right angle of visualization for any topic. I'd rather choose image oriented power point oppossed to word-loaded ones as images will usually be better understaood and allow less boring time

I completely agree with you, Victor. I find that my students respond much more favorably to PPT presentations that contain a fair amount of visuals, and embedded videos versus slide after slide of verbiage. Charts can go either way - if the information is compelling, a chart will work. A chart for the sake of a chart is simply boring.

Yes! When we have the more technical power point lectures to do that don't have any pictures or videos; all text; they loose interest very quickly. A PowerPoint with at least a few pictures gives my visual learners a chance to comprehend the material better.

As learners of all types,do we prefer books with pictures or just regular worded sentence books?
Pictures stimulate the interest and opens the mind to the visual learner and helps them process some of the topics/material being covered..Limit the words in the explanation of topics covered and just use short sweet bullet points with a few pictures interspersed in the presentation.
In the Culinary industry we are all visual people and see things through pictures that speaks louder than word,so using this avenue simplifies the information given.

Students who learn visually are usually more apt to retain information when you use a Power Point presentation. PowerPoint presentations that contain visually stimulating graphics help the learner to associate information with an image. When graphic images are not used, it is more difficult to hold the attention of the students, and it is more difficult for the student to retain the information. For this reason, I choose to use more visual presentations over the word-oriented, presentations.

Sign In to comment