Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

So many options- Getting started

There are so many great and exciting ooptions for using technology in the classroom. It can seem overwhelming to take a 3 hour lecture and break it apart. I would love to bring in polls, class interaction, and ask for student collaboration for study guides and reviews. I want to have the ppt info readily available. I currentlynemail it as an attachment. I teach pathophysiology and there is so much information in this course. I'm not sure where to start.

Kelly,

SurveyMonkey is a free resource for creating polls and surveys. Developing these information gathering and sharing tools is quick and easy! It is a great first step. Students can participate outside of class time, or in class using a smart phone, computer, or other internet-enabled device.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/mp/online-polls/

Utilizing Google Docs, another free resource, to store and share files is also a quick and easy way to ease technology into the classroom. As an instructor, I find having all of my course materials readily accessible should I forget my jump drive is an added benefit. You can control what you share, so not all documents have to be accessible by all.

Wishing you continued success in the classroom.

Theresa Schmitt

I have been teaching for 14 years and I have actually reduced the amount of material and terminology over that time. This allows me to focus on the most needed topics and to present them in the best ways possible.

I would also like to start a student collaborative for a study guide and review. Presently, I have each student create their own basic formula study guide for business math, it would be interesting to make this a collaborative project. What would be the best approach for this project so that all students are engaged? My fear is that only a few would contribute to the project and all would expect to take advantage of the study guide.

Kathy,

I would suggest starting simple because there is a learning curve for the students as well as yourself. Through Google Drive, students can share files and collaborate. On group projects, I do have students grade each other and provide a rubric that outlines how participation factors in to the grade. This helps me in the event I need to have a conversation with a group about one or two members not contributing. I do not use it when calculating final grades (personal choice), only as a resource for students to provide feedback on their experience, and a means for me to stay on top of the groups activity.

List of Google products: http://www.google.com/about/products/

Theresa Schmitt

Not sure that this is the thread to state this on, but it seemed relevant. Yes, there is a lot out there and it can be very useful if used correctly. As we have been encouraged to use more and more external technology, there is more research, trial and error that needs to happen before it is brought into the classroom. The worst thing that you can do is as a classroom of students who are not the best at self-motiviation to tackle a new form of technology. Practice what you want them to do - practice many times on different machines and different operating systems. take notes (heck - record it using a screen recording software and show them) but go into class fully prepared. maybe even keep a list of the places that you stumbled - just incase they might too.

I think the key is the same as good design. .form follows function. While there are plenty of toys to choose from.. determining the best tools is still based on learning objectives and creating the best possible outcomes for your students.

Katie,

You bring up a fantastic point! When I first incorporated a discussion board into a general education course I teach, I found participation low the first two weeks and questioned the class on this. Turns out, half the class did not know how to access it or even how to read a thread! I had to take a step back and realize I was teaching a diverse group of learners when teaching this particular course. I now review the process with the class the first week and find taking the time to do so has drastically increase in participation.

Theresa Schmitt

Yes, there are SO many options! Teaching grammar
in a basic English course can be boring after a
while for both student and teacher. I have found
that having students use a "study buddy" to help
proofread assignments is a start. I have had small groups work for the best or most answers
to a grammar or spelling contest. I plan to use
some of the tools I learned in this course to ani-
mate the lessons to engage and maybe excite the
students to learn more.

I for one would like to see an educational listing of various sites and possibly what they each have to offer. Taking the theory that "one person's trash is another's treasure".

It would be great to see a forum repository of sites that are freely available for use in a classroom and one's that could have some sort of rating (a 5 star scale) to them.

As instructors, we have limited time to go researching/learning/developing the programs with these sites. As I said, it would be wonderful to see a large listing of what is available.

Sign In to comment