Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The Implications of Using Technology

How do you teach students the different between using technology for its own sake and using technolgy for educational purposes?

That's a tough question, but a good one too. I think it really comes down to a combination of the content and goal.

I have a ton of students that have what I would define as a "media addiction". They saturation themselves in video binge watching, or games, usually to the detriment of their school work.

When I do bring tech into lessons, it helps to clearly define the goal you have for them in regards to how they will be using the said technology to compliment the learning process. I also give an anecdotal story about how I used to teach the subject matter in the past. If they know what the end game will be, they generally get why they are performing the task that you're requiring of them. At least, in my experience.

But it certainly is a thin line.

Yes, I agree that the multi-media can be a distraction for students as they often become addicted to its use and features.

I believe everything in moderation and due time is appropriate and applicable.

I agree that students these days are addicted to technology. It's important to set and define the line with the use of technolgy in class.

We have a policy at school. No cell phones out in class. The exception to this is the course self study is web based.
I allow the students to use smart phones to study before a test is given. Then the phones are put away. Using it for it's own sake they would miss key points need in the review.

Sign In to comment