Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Technology Drawbacks

While using these learning tools in the classroom works for most classes. I find that sometimes it can be a challenge when dealing with students who are not interested with doing the work. I like the idea and use it from time to time, but the challenge in my classroom is that I teach cooking and theory and technical points are crucial to success.

I agree. It is so important in our cooking classes that students succeed.

For the more tangible culinary classes, I find that unless the student is completely immersed in the learning aspect of cooking, there isn't too much of a benefit to using the technology that is readily available. The exception would be video uploads of specific cutting techniques or other similar activities that a student can follow along with at home if they happened to miss a class that demonstrated that particular activity. The discipline required to use the technology effectively may be a bit overwhelming, especially for students returning to a learning environment after an extended period of time.

I sometimes find that an overdose of technology to my students results in them becoming desensitized to the way the material is presented. Has anyone else seen this?

I can agree with this response, because in my experience, I've had the occasional student who attempts to refute the information in class because someone on social media said something different. While social media may have some value in learning, I continue to encourage a student to research the topic himself/herself from trusted and reputable sites and sources.

In teaching dental hygiene students the same problem occurs. The students are very technology savvy and would prefer to use electronic devices to learn which is fine for didactic purposes, watching demonstrations of proper scaling techniques, and perhaps even a simulation in which they scale a patient's teeth. However, in addition to using technology, the students must have "hands on instruction" with mannequins, each other, family and friends, etc in order to learn what is expected of them in the real world. So much with calculus removal is a tactile feeling that the students cannot receive from technological teaching methods. So, even though technology is the new wave of teaching and should be incorporated, there are some disciplines that still need hands on experience in more abundance.

Tamyra,

I fully agree. Though many programs are fully online in format, I believe some discipline's need hands-on instruction and feedback, especially in the medical and dental field when learning how to perform procedures on patients. A blended learning format would be more appropriate in your case.

Wishing you continued success in the classroom.
Theresa Schmitt

it is hard to cook with a lap top or a call phone so to me they don't work for what we do. but our studenrts are lost with out them .it is a shame we have to rely on technology to get our points across.culinary arts is demanding field that hands on is the true technology that is only needed.

As a Baby Boomer instructor, I have had to come to grips with technology in the classroom. From learning new tricks and being open minded to the new tools that are avaiable from the professional Instructors that are taking these courses, I have embraced this new tool as a great learning element for todays students who cannot seem to live without it.(Cell phones, iPads and lab top computers. It is now the way of this generation.
As a Culinary Instructor in my lecture classes, I have the students research and debate topics related to the coursed material, goals,learning objectives which helps them retain valuable quiz/test information.
Because their attention is so short I let them "play" with their toys to generate communication,engagement and more importantly knowledge that is relevent to their lives and chosen carreres.
There are some drawbacks when someone does not want to play in the 'sandbox"..(i.e) participate and go on their social network, so I have to be creative and put them in pairs or groups to make their participation more relevant and educational.
I would never have approached this topic in this manner before, but I am learning to use ALL the avaiable tools at my disposal to engage on this journey of learning
I have had a lot of success with various application of this process.I do have to tweak it as I go along as the need arises and I use the students imput to make it work better for future classes.

I feel sometimes the use of technology can remove us from actual interaction with a concept (Example: death by PowerPoint)..

For the cooking aspect of it, I incorporate the use of technology just for research purposes and for all their written work. other than that there is very little room because it is such a skill based class. Although, as future chefs there is a lot of room for the use of technology just not in the classroom.

Sign In to comment