Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Finding the time...

I understand the importance of social media in this day and age, but frankly, I find it time consuming to keep it updated, hence efficient as a learning tool. Specially as role model, I do not want to take on a task that I will not be able to manage successfully. But, I greatly admire the one who can. ;)

Nadine,

I admire your candor, social media as an educational tool is not for everyone. You are correct, it is time consuming formulating posts and replying to questions, so perhaps something like a class wiki would be more appropriate. Wiki's take on a live of their own as students develop the content and only require moderating and a bit of editing from time to time.

Wishing you continued success in the classroom.

Theresa Schmitt

I felt the same way until I began to utilize it. Now I have excellent communication with my students and can better convey messages and assignments to those absent or those whom need to hear it twice...

We are only allowed to use school approved software in the classroom which limits access.

Gayle,

You have the same problem that I do. I can only used school approved methods to communicate with my students and social method is not the approved method. The school can not track those communications therefore we can not use them.

I intend to create a Facebook page for my students next term that I do not anticipate to be too time consuming (fingers crossed), but it is a blog that I am also planning to create, which I am afraid may be a little time consuming. I will at least try it and see how it goes.

I receive many requests from current students and alumni to connect to LinkedIn and Facebook. As a faculty member I must make sure that all communications with students are transparent and within university guidelines.

Cornelius,

I agree, you most definitely want to adhere to your schools AUP (acceptable use policies). Most colleges relax their rules once a student has graduated, and then of course it is at your discretion who you choose to add to your circles online.

Wishing you continued success in the classroom.

Theresa Schmitt

Sign In to comment