Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Technology

Using technology in the classroom help both the teacher and the students. It encourages interactions and prevent the students from getting bored with listening to the teacher lecturing.

I completely agree with you Renette. Since the latest generations have grown up with technology we as educators have had to learn to adapt to their learning styles. Anything we can to get the students to ineract is a way to keep them from getting bored and not wanting to listen when the instructor lectures. I am always looking for new ways to work with technology to teach my students, but within the policies of the company. We are still learning to adapt to the changing age of technology and how to best create policies to fall within the learning styles of the next generation, and still maintain an environment of teaching.

I definately agree with you. I have gradually went away from teacher lecture the majority of the time. The students respond better when they are constantly interacting with their peers and it lends toward a more comfortable learning environment. Teacher lecture is the "old style" of learning and is not very successful with the new generation student.

I agree with you Renette about using technology in the classroom to help keep them from getting bored. The days of lecturing and watching lecture videos are long gone if you want to keep your class attention. I teach Math and I find that I can keep the students interest so much more if they use interactive online programs. My students enjoy all the self help that the programs provide and they can work at their own pace. It also provides the students with a discussion forum, where they can ask for help from other students or from me. Otherwise these students would probably just sit in a formal classroom and not speak out when they do not understand.

One of the Toughest problems to get past is keeping students engaged during a lecture. You have to use every tool at your command to do so. Blend technology into your lecture and make the lecture inter active as possible

John,

I agree. We are essentially on stage, and for many, in classes that last as long as four hours. Anything we can do to shake things up and keep the audiences attention while delivering the content is worth considering.

Wishing you continued success in the classroom.

Theresa Schmitt

I use the internet and have some PowerPoint presentations, but In addition to that I let the students use their tablets and smartphones to take notes and research the internet for reference.

I agree, considering the technological savvy of this generation the use of social media and technology is a must to keep students engaged. I am always on the hunt for media resources to compliment my lesson plan. Lecturing is the teaching method of the past, in order to be an effective instructor, you must join the new millennium.

I've started using studystack.com to put a lot of terms and definitions for students to learn. It's easy to use and it is a free resource accessible through the internet. I've had students get perfect scores on the tests for the first time after using it.

James,

Study Stack is a fantastic flash card creation resource, thank you for sharing!

Wishing you continued success in the classroom.

Theresa Schmitt

I agree that technology benefits both student and teacher. Technology infused classrooms enable students to learn not only core curriculum but also to actively thing about information, make choices, and execute skills resulting in the ability to complete more complex assignments and to do more with higher-order thinking. Moreover, technology supports students in performing authentic tasks and places them in a position to define goals, make decisions, and evaluate their own progress while providing a wide venue to demonstrate skills and knowledge. Fortunately, not only does technology put the world at students' fingertips but also at the fingertips of the teacher. Technology enable teachers to collaborate, research best practices, and provide authentic lessons for students.

Sign In to comment