Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I do agree I of fen use part during leachier so student can hear me talk about as well as hold and take apart

An active learning environment is one where the students are engaged in learning for self-improvement. They are involved in furthering their own goals and learning experiences rather than following rote learning that is instructor based.
This environment has to be created carefully. Students need to learn to trust themselves, each other, and the instructors. All of this takes time to develop. It is created through use of rubrics for projects and assignments, clear goals and objectives, helping students to understand how the small tasks relate to the big picture, and through repetition as it take time and experience to develop. The instructor also needs to sharpen and refine the lessons based on the groups of students in a variety of ways.

Active learning term can be understood as practical learning. Since I teach clinical nursing, it is a great environment to facilitate active learning. In short whatever is learned in theory is actually implemented by students in the real world.

RAJINI,
Keep using those examples to facilitate the learning.
Philip Campbell

I teach Anatomy and Physiology and to make it an active learnign enviornment I show videos from youtube. I will ask them questions on what I taught to make sure that they are learning befiore I end the lecture.

in our school most of the time the studenta are performing lab activities so it is very active anyway. when we are lecturing I try to keep them engaged but making them stand up and move around to simulate where power starts from and where it ends up. I will use the students as symbols of electricity like human chess pieces. it does not work for everything but they have fun with it and it forces them to stay focused on that's happening because they are involved in it as a part of the electrical circuit

An active learning environment is all about hands on learning. Active learning can include some instruction from the teacher; however most of the tailored instruction should be driven by the the students. They are just about handed the keys, so to speak, and told to take charge in how they accomplish their learning objectives. The teachers roll shifts more to a coaching and guiding roll.

Setting up an active learning environment, the instructor must set up problem based learning activities where the students have to go and find out the answers. This learning must be tailored to the students and build upon previous instruction. Students should be encouraged to keep their minds open to multiple perspectives and willingness to learn not only from their teacher but also their fellow students.

incorporating all 3 learning types into your class helps

I like the idea, but sometimes it is hard to do.

An active learning environment is one in which students and instructor share information. Particularly while teaching in a classroom of adults, the past career experiences of all enhance the understanding of subject matter.

I use case studies a lot in most of my classes, to allow students to give their thoughts and opinions about the topics or situations to discuss in class. It allows the students to see what other opinions and how to solve and give positive feedback.

After reading this course, I realize how important active learning is to my students. My goal is to keep them engaged in the topic. While my class may be accounting and they have no interest in it, I still need to make it applicable to their goals. I create an environment like this by using group work, breaking up the class, asking questions and feedback. I try to teach my students to think of multiple approaches to solving a problem.

Brenda,
They are great examples to give to students. Lets them look at situations and make a decision for themselves without much pressure.
Philip Campbell

Similar to James, I teach mathematics - another subject that students in general would prefer to avoid. As much as there needs to be time for lectures to get information across, active learning techniques are certainly needed to help the learning process. Where I teach, every course is required to have at least one hands-on project that enhances what is being done in the classroom. With these projects, students are getting more than what is written in the textbook or what they hear from their instructor, they are actually doing the applications of what is being taught.

I teach computer classes, and in all of them, I use video demos with experts showing them how it is done, we use simulation software so they can do it themselves, then we do hands on practices of things such as making Cat5 cables with RJ45 connectors, installing cables in a patch panel, installing ram in a PC, etc. In this way students can experience the learning processes in many different ways, they also have a textbook so they can read prior to the in class activities, and reference terms and concepts in the process of the active processes. My students seem to really like these methods, and all of them have at least one method which is their main learning style.

Creating an active learning classroom experience for students is very important. Engaging students to relate their own experiences to the information we will be focusing on in class seems to work well with my students. Also discussing how the experience went with them and outcome (good or bad) then focusing on what the information in our textbooks, cases studies and other resources teach them to do, or not do, in their future careers.

Sign In to comment