Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

working with the steep learning curve

I work with a large number of baby boomer students who are often challenged by technology in the first place. They prefer the face to face contact. However, I have also found that when I introduce a seminar forum at the beginning of a course introducing the use of technology and work with them face to face, hands on with the technology we will be using in the class, they are oftentimes the best students.

Mark,

We need more instructors to take such an approach when introducing technology especially in a blended format which offers courses both onsite and online. Challenges with technology has often been identified as a top five reason why a student might do poorly academically or even withdraw from an institution.

Antoine Lewis

I find that the boomers are also the best when technology is introduced. The reason, they grew up without it. They know how life works. Today's students have been exposed to technology since birth and take it for granted. Many will suffer in the real world after finishing school because they don't know anything different. My classes are all about technology, so we rarely see attitude from the boomers. We also have to keep inventing new ways to keep today's students focused.

Eric,

Often times boomers do take technology for granted and do not realize what are the alternative and/or traditional way of dealing with technical difficulties. Student engagement is often times harder than ever as todays student attention span varies. Important to incorporate case studies, presentations, group discussion and open book activities to keep the interest of the student as learning styles vary more than ever also.

Antoine Lewis

boomers understand the need to advance or be left behind. Once they become comfortable with a certain technology they are willing to teach other boomers who aren't as comfortable with modern technology. As a boomer, change is not always easy but I know it is a certainty.

Anne,

Baby boomers are a huge part of the educational trend. Being tech savy has been associated with those raised in the ipod/smartphone era. These boomers expect technology to be safe, easy to use and flexible when pursing an online education.

Antoine Lewis

I am one of the baby boomers who is really challenge by the technology.I have been asking my kids to help me with some of the functions of the computer.Sometimes I get frustrated if my kids will go too fast in explaining.I like to do one on one, hands on, and practice over and over again,otherwise I easily forget.I am also a nurse- instructor and I found out some of my colleagues who worked at the hospital experienced the same problem. Some of them even quit because they can't cope up with the technology.

zedeva,

Baby Boomers are exposed to technology sooner but it varies as to how tech savvy they are which is ok.

I have been asking my kids to help me with some of the functions of the computer. Sometimes I get frustrated if my kids will go too fast in explaining. I recommend looking into a computer training cross with a nearby community college if possible as they often offer affordable course if your schedule allows it. Teach yourself and repetition can be very fun and frustrating at the same time. A great source is http://www.gcflearnfree.org/

As a nurse/instructor I wish you much success as the innovation and implementation of nursing technology is changing.

Antoine Lewis

That is an important point you make about expectations from boomers, they have witnessed change first hand and had to learn and adapt, where as my younger students many of whom still live in the shelter of youth and their parents homes have not been exposed to changes in workplace technologies. This creates a problem, once the technology fails or fails to provide a solution they get confused and gridlocked, my boomers have a broad enough knowledge base they can think their way through to a solution (old school).

Rick,

A diverse classroom of Baby Boomers and younger students can be challenging. It is always good to get a pulse of the classroom to see if there are ant generational issues as it relates to technology because you always want to be able to assist student with challenges and provide alternatives.

Antoine Lewis

I will say that when I find that there is a diverse mix of baby boomers as well as Generation Y students in the classroom I try to pair them up when I notice that the Boomers may not be as tech savvy as they should be at this point in their educational careers. This partnering allows for a teamwork environment to become part of the instruction and facilitation as well as incorporating a simulated workplace environment. I believe it socially helps bridge the gap between the two generations as well as encourage communication and appreciation for the knowledge and experience possessed in each.

Denise,

I feel doing an icebreaker or Q&A regarding technological preferences helps me get a gage of what type of class I have as it relates to technology

Antoine Lewis

an additional thing that I do with each new class is ask these questions on the Contract for Success document that they are required to submit:
CONTACT INFO
1) email address
2) contact phone numbers (with a box to check for home, cell, or work)
3)if you have a cell phone, can you send/receive free text messages? (always, yes but it might cost me; I can receive, but not send; 4) no
DESCRIBE YOUR ACCESS TO COMPUTERS AND THE INTERNET
1) anywhere, anytime
2) dependable internet and/or computer at home
3)dependable access to internet at the home of a friend and at the public library
4)only have dependable internet/computer access at school

Deborah,

The contract concept is one that is great and school could benefit from such a thing as it should be a part of a student profile and they can update it as needed electronically and instructors can view when necessary. Good luck in your teaching endeavors!

Antoine Lewis

Sign In to comment