Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Differentiated Instruction | Origin: ED201

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Students with Disabilities in the Classroom --> Differentiated Instruction

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

In this module, I learned what is not a reasonable accommodation for students with disabilities. I learned it is not reasonable to make accommodations if it poses a threat to anyone. You should also not make accommodations that make a substantial change to the curriculum. I also learned that the Universal Design for Learning is a set of resourses one can use to make lessons which can easily be accommodated for students with disabilities. 

In this section, I learned about what are reasonable accommodations and what is not.  It also help me understand my role as an instructor as well as my role as an administrator.  

Samantha

Reasonable accommodations and the fact that students with disabilities are due the same content that all others in the class are given and at the same level. I learned that it is important not to "play to the disability" of a student. 

I have learned that all accommodations are not acceptable. If the accommodation poses a threat to anyone in the class, is a financial burden on the educator or administration or devalues the content in the curriculum, it is not acceptable. All students have the right to learn the same material but in a way that is best for each of them.

I COMPREHEND THE HOW, WHY & WHAT OF LEARNING AND HOW WE SHOULD STRIVE TO GIVE EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES TO ALL LEVELS OF ABILITY. WE MUST ENSURE THAT ACCOMMODATIONS ARE ALWAYS OF A SAFE MANNER AND POSE NO THREAT TO THOSE PRESENT. WHILE WE STRIVE TO ACCOMODATE THOSE WITH DISABIITIES, IT IS ALSO OUR RESPONSIBILITY NOT TO CREATE A BURDEN OR A HARDSHIP FOR OTHERS INVOLVED, AND WE SHOULD NEVER FORGET THAT WE FOLLOW POLICY - ADMINISTRATION SETS IT.

It is possible that accommodations may not be deemed "reasonable."  And that's OK!  As educators we have to keep in mind the mental and physical demands of our professions and also keep that in mind when considering if an accommodation is reasonable. 

I have learned that although students with disabilities are entitled to accommodations, it must still be reasonable and it is our job as instructors is to fundamentally teach all students the subject in the course without watering down the curriculum or lessening expectations.

The differences between reasonable and unreasonable accomodation are pretty self explanitory, however, their premise is that of their definition; reasonable. Yes, altering instruction may be time consuming and cumbersome to execute for the instructors, but if kept within reason that entire curriculum doesn't need to be altered, an accomodation can be made.

Students with disabilities are entitled to reasonable accommodations as long as they don't impose an unreasonable cost, does not make direct safety issues with others, does not make a substantial change in the curriculum.

We must keep the best accomadation for the whole class and not individulize 

• Differentiated instruction is a teaching approach that tailors instruction to students' different learning needs.
  • It lets students show what they know in different ways.
  • It doesn't replace the goals in a child's IEP or 504 plan.

In this module I learned you should never " water down" your course material.  People with disabilities may need to have accomidations to  acheive this goal.  In the end everyone finishes the course with the same education.  

I've learned that making accommodations does not mean changing any essential element of the material. It should be done in a way that is safe and non threatening. Considering the what, how and why of learning may be beneficial to all learners, not just those with disabilities.

During this session, this was the most impactful information to me...Making reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities should never mean watering down the curriculum or expecting less in terms of outcomes or demonstration of mastery. The methods that you and your students use to get to those outcomes may vary, but no one is well served by lowering final expectations. I really thought that even with the accomodations it would have some impact on the curriculum and outcome.

I learned that not all accommodations for students with disabilities are appropriate or reasonable. It is important that we not play down to a student's disability but should challenge them to do the same work as the other students in the classroom but may have additional assistance that other students don't. It is important to recognize what accommodations are appropriate and which ones are not. 

Accommodations level the playing field.

In the past providing accommodations almost makes it seem like you have to compromise the learning but you are still providing an education but in a manner that the students can understand.  I have always felt like everyone has to "get it" but everyone may not get it.  However, I need to have provided every opportunity for them to do so.

I have learned that reasonable accommodations do not impact the learning outcomes. There are reasonable and unreasonable accommodations. We must always strive to accommodate within reason so that the student is not getting a lower level of education delivery.

Instruction should allow for accommodation without others seeing evidence of such changes. Seamless.

Sign In to comment