Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Motivation

There are so many useful tools that one can use from this classroom. The real challenge is how to apply it and how to keep our students engaged so that they want the information. Many times I get frustrated when my supervisors says that I do not keep them engaged enough when they are receiving below average grades. It is not the instructors fault if the student is lazy, late or absent a lot, does not study for their quizzes and have this gen y attitude that everyone is a winner. Bottom line it is what it is and survival of the fittest in the real workplace.

The ones you can't reach do haunt you. Reaching out to them time and again gets frustrating, especially when the other students need you to keep them engaged and growing.
It is a joy when you can bring up a failing student, but don't neglect the others.

Glenn, thank you for articulating what I sometimes feel... What age group do you work with? What would happen if you incorporated a game day where each "Gen" could and would have an opportunity to be successful. I have had classes where everyone was 18 and I was a "parent" and I have had classes where I was younger than a few of the students... Continuously remind each student of the future that they have said they want.

glenn ,
yes, while we want to help our students as much as possible, the reality is that if we coddle too much, they are not prepared for the competitive job market that awaits them.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Ann,
this is so true & at some point the student has to take ownership of their education as they will have to own their career.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I agree 100%. As a Culinary Instructor I am constantly remind them when the enter the food service industry it is what they are capable of physically producing that will keep them employed. It is a self motivated industry and they will need to put their best effort into it if they wish to enjoy success. If someone else needs to do it for them they will quickly find themselves out of a job.

Stephen,
I think this is true of most if not all career fields & we must really help our students embrace this idea.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I have a very limited experience as an instructor. However it appears that the basics or the foundational elements seem to be forgotten by students once the lesson is over.

How do I instill these practices without boring them with repetition?

Nelli,
you can make repetition more interesting by incorporating it heavily into each lesson. What are those core ideas for your course & then make sure that you refer back to them often & keep hanging the new content on those pegs.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I agree with you. The culinary industry is tough and only those who are self-motivated and disciplined will survive. Gen Y may expect to become a sous chef right out of culinary school. However, they will learn quickly that you need to work your way up and its not something you are entitled to.

I feel like in trying to keep students engaged in school we are also keeping them from the harsh reality of how difficult it is out there in the work force. How are we suppose to find a balance in trying to give all that is needed for a student to survive in school but at the same time not pampering them so much that they get discouraged once they step out in the industry and we are not there to shield them from reality.

This is a very good question that you have posed. It is immeasurably difficult to give the students a realistic view of the real world without alienating them. We have to find a balance between coddling and preparing them to be knowledgable and competent employees.

Kim,
and this is definitely a difficult line to walk & balance.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I have found they're are some students you can help and some that no matter what you do they will not cooperate. Motivation is needed daily. Its up to me to figure out what will motivate them.

greg,
yes, this is a key factor in engaging them in the classroom.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

We were engaged in this discussion yesterday in my class. Motivation is closely tied to work ethic I believe. I also believe that you have work ethic or you don't, it is not something that can be taught. I lead by example and do my best not to coddle. Most students respect that I treat them as adults and others don't like it. I am there to train them for the workforce, not to be their friend, we can be friends after they graduate. In was pleasantly surprised when I read this thread that so many agree with me. I'm glad I'm not the only one, the world feels a bit more normal now :).

Kim, I couldn't agree more. It is a difficult task finding that balance. I try to bring in experts from my field into the classroom to talk about the field and what the expectations of the students will be when they enter the job market. Often times students need to here how high the standards are from multiple people for it to sink in.

I currently teach for a Medical Assisting program, if we coddle the students too much it always ends in disaster. Physicians do not coddle, they do not to do emotions, feelings or excuses. Coddleing in the classroom has the potential to set them up for failure in healthcare, gives them a false sense of reality.

for me motivation is something I try to give all my students, what I have found personally some you have to pat on the back (tell they did a good job) or some you have to motivate by simply that is not good enough, I expect more than that from you

I have noticed that each generation of student requires different styles of learning to feel motivated.

Sign In to comment