Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Relevancy

There is so much information readily accessible via the internet that these new students do not want to be bogged down with irrelevant information. My question is this: What does one do with a curriculum that is full of irrelevant information? The information must be taught, however, because it is included on the National Board.

Kathryn,
definitely a tough situation. I would suggest spending some time explaining this "why" to the students & acknowledging that not all of the info is relevant. However, none of you can change the exam, so the importance or relevance is for passing the board.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

The first day of class I go through the syllabus and course objectives. The next thing that I do is explain the relevance of what will be covered. Even if it's perceived that something in the course is irrelevant I explain that it's part of being EDUCATED rather than trained. Someday this "irrelevant" knowledge will tie together with what they see as "relevant" knowledge.

Relevant or not I cover all subject matter and then concentrate on the really important stuff...hands on in the lab

Everything is relevant. It might be for national boards, or living in life, or what is going on in the news. They might be more interested if why you are covering it is explained

make a game out of it or turn it into a project, that why they have to research the information in order to do the assignment.

As an instructor of a subject that many students feel is irrelevant to their career aspirations, I try to make my subject relevant by bringing in real live experiences and comparing topics to the life of a Gen Yer. When I start comparing subject topics to their life, the students become more engaged in the classroom.

The student may question the relevancy because they are new to the filed. The instructor should explain why the topic is relevant and, if possible, give examples of relevancy. One course I teach doesn't have mass appeal so I continually tell the students that the technology I cover can help them understand similar technologies. I also try to explain workplace scenarios and how the topic can be applied in a workplace.

David,
this is a great example of how we can help connect the dots for them & help them embrace the learning opportunities.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I get that question from the students in grad clinic that have already taken the board exam and explain that not much of information from a certain class was on the board. I explain that it is important information in the working world and they may have to explain or understand about materials when working in their field of work.

I use a similar approach. My discipline's credentialling exam is full of stuff that can be forgotten immediately after the test due to its lack of use in the real-world. I explain that knowing this information is what seperates an amateur from a professional.

I always explain that the more you know, the more valuable you are.

Sign In to comment