Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The Right Answer

It does seem that to many people, the internet offers all the right answers. As a student once said in regard to responding to a thought provoking question, "That's why God invented google." Hhm ...

Ian,
unfortunately this does sum up the opinions of many of the younger students. We have a tremendous opportunity to teach discernment & critical thinking.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Ian,
I have witnessed in my own pursuit of higher learning instituitons that will not accecpt internet sources as relevant sources of information. Several times I was required to access library files, including peer reviews and academic journal entries, rather than news stories and "wikipedia"(which is a very unreliable source of information). I find it a better way of finding information and learning from it, as just "Googleing" answers takes away the experience of proper research from all levels of learning environments.

We have a handout sheet that we give to students on elliciting material from credible sources online for their projects and reports. We also encourage the use of the Schools Database, Google Scholar and websites ending with .org or .edu
However, we have students that ofter cite Wikipedia which drives us nutty!

The Internet is truly awesome. The problem is there are as many wrong answers as right answers. One needs to be cautious when utilizing the Internet.

Craig,
so true & this is where we can help our students by helping them become wise consumers of the information that is out there.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Ashlee, I don't allow wikipedia as a source for projects for that exact reason

Sign In to comment