Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Gen Yers and Critical Thinking Skills

I find it very interesting that the Generation Y Learner needs development in the critical thinking skills. This generation relies so heavily on technology to answer their questions, which does not develop their ability to assess situation with their own experiences.

Karyn,
I agree that this is probably the biggest need of this generation.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I ttoally agree with you. To me (Gen. X) with a baby boomer cultural background and heart, I always find it amazing how much most people (not just Gen. Y) do not engage in critical thinking. Or if they do, there is a limit to their openness to genuine inquiry rather than just offering their own opinions and points of view. There is a search for 'the right answer' combined with a rush to get things done quickly. This is understandable. I teach English in a business school. My students have to take this course and it isn't something they view as a valued or needed expereince. Sometimes as the course goes on we can break through the guarded barrier. But they are not being taugnt in school some of the classic ways to do 'crtical thinking' which do include engaging with a topic or question. Google has all the 'right answers' even giving you your own opinion sometimes.

I teach Critical Thinking to this group and they love it AFTER going through a period of frustration. I use tools to help them show themselves that thinking and critical thinking are two different beasts!

I agree. I find my Gen Y students get very frustrated when they ask me a question and I advise them to think it through.

I think that the reason they have less critical thinking experience is that lessons are broken into 20 minute segments for the most part and some specific expression of the knowledge gained must come out of that time. Part of the aspect of critical thinking that is missing is the time to process the material in order for the thinker to think about the material at a deeper level. In addition, most websites provide general knowledge. The critical thinking level never comes into play.

Deborah ,
this is a great analysis & I would say spot on regarding critical thinking.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Karyn,

I find this interesting as well. It is very helpful to know critical thinking skills may be something that can be missing in GenY students and that I can do activities to specifically address this. It opens up for me my creativity and can increase my interest in what I am teaching. It might be interesting to brainstorm with the GenY students ideas for activities.

Thanks for your comments!

Tom

Thomas ,
one of the best ways to develop ct skills is through group work as the students learn to present ideas, explain ideas & listen to & evaulate those of others. Also, Gen Y students tend to like group work so this could be a win-win.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I think that is a very interesting observation. A combination of almost limitless technology and information overload, combined with a 20 minute attention span. At times I am envious, that I was born in the wrong generation.

Going back to research I have a few ways to get students engaged and thinking critically. One is taken from an instructor here the concept of prove a myth. I usually start something completely false like the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide. I have them find three things that prove it dangerous and three things that prove it harmless. We then discuss which of these is more convincing and why.
I take it a step further and do something with product reviews amazon being one of the best to look at pick a product and find the 1 star and the 5 star items have the students tell you which reviews are worth it and which are just a waste to read.

Chris,
this is a great idea & one that incorporates the technology they are used to & also makes them think.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I teach a nursing type program (veterinary technology) and have been trying to develop critical thinking skills by giving them case studies to answer questions about. However, for the most part I get answers that are straight from a source, almost (or sometimes actually) verbatim. The student seems to hope that the answer is buried somewhere in the paragraph they provided to me. It is obvious that they didn't process the information sufficiently. Do you think having them do cases as a group, or present the case themselves in class would be better. I think case studies are really important to utilize their knowledge but they seem to be wasted and I spend more time grading them then they spend learning from them.

Ideas?

Karen,
I would suggest going with presenting the cases in class & providing some real good, in-depth discussion questions that force them to engage & discuss the case, rather than just "solving" it.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment