Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Cell phones are becoming so prevasive that I believe that they will become a permanent fixture in the classroom. The major impact I think will be moving from lectures to total project learning or seeing the teacher as a faciltator or coach of learning rather than the center of learning.

I have problems with students unable to stop with their phones in class. It is self control. They need the stimulation. I know some lectures are long and I try to inject a state change but it is a need for some to have that connection with the cyber world. I wonder if it is an addiction?

Keith,
I do believe that this is currently being researched as an addiction, I would say for many reasons it could qualify.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I let students use there phone in class, but only for family emergencys. If a student takes advantege of the system I let him know that it is not aloud.

I know of an instructor who has a "cell phone basket", at the beginning of each class she has each student place their cell phone in the basket. On break times they may retrieve them, but during class they are in the basket. She allows them to keep it on their person on vibrate only if there is a pending emergancy, i.e. a wife who is expecting to deliver their child soon or kid at home who is ill, etc. I think this a great ideas and she states that it has worked very well to keep distractions limited.

Curtis ,

and I think this is a great way to teach them appropriateness & professionalism.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Cell phones should not be used in the classroom, period. You don't need to talk to your friends while you are supposed to be engaged in a discussion. Attention can be focused in only one place at a time. Something's gotta give.

I do not allow student to use their cell phones in class or text doing class. I use this as a way to teach younger students about controlling stress and paying attention to the subject matter

james,
and I would say this is a good chance to teach them that there is an appropriate time & place for their phones, but it may not be right now.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I do not allow cell phone use in the classroom, however I do incorporate technology by means of e-mail, instant messaging,etc...after class! I have had too many employers state that the use of cell phones while the student is there to complete clinical rotations is out of control. If we truly are wanting to teach soft-skills to students and acclimate them to the real world experience then we should be leading by example.

Carey,
and I think by explaining the potential ramifications in the professional environment should help them understand why we put so much emphasis on not using the cell phones in class.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I feel the same way . i feel they are a distraction to the learning room . Some students would have no problem using them while most others would not conform to the usage of them .As a instucter i feel it is a battle we all have to challenge every class.

The exact scenario that you described happened to a coworker. A brake caliper he installed had not been properly secured and subsequently fell off, damaging the wheel and brining the vehicle to an abrupt and unplanned stop. Luckily no one was injured in the mishap, but the customer was not very pleased.

This particular coworker had been warned repeatedly about his cel phone use during work hours. Needless to say, he was terminated. I share that story with my students (with names changed to protect personal privacy) as an example of times when it is inappropriate to use their phones in a professional setting.

Many students are going to be in for a harsh culture shock when they get into the work force if some degree of limitation on their cel phone use isn't introduced during their time in school. Many of their boomer and gen X managers are not going to be anywhere near as understanding and accomodating as we may find ourselves compelled to be as instructors.

John,

this is an unfortunate & tragic story, but a great one to share with our students. Grateful that no one was injured, but obviously this is a strong reminder of the consequences that these "violations" have in the real world.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I have to agree to the possibility of them being an addiction. Look at the amount of motor vehicle accidents that are related to txt/phone usage.

I agree the students and even some teachers do not know when to get on or off the phone....I feel the phone should stay out of the classroom but could be used as a tool for research for homework but other than that it can become a time waster.

Ginny,
additionally the phone can become very hard to manage in a larger classroom. While some of the students may use it for the intended purpose, some will take advantage.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Also if the person is on the phone not focusing on the lecture then hopefully they are not going to waste class time to ask about what was just stated.

We do not allow cell phones out during class time. Students are distracted with the text messaging and alerts they have set for twitter, facebook, etc. They are also told that they cannot have their cell phones out during clinical time at their externship site, regardless what the technologist are doing that are employed there.

I have no problems with cell phones in my classes. I hold my students accountable if they are seen using them at the unapproved time during class. You have to make the rules very clear and the consequences if not followed. They love structure. The problem is when an instructor does not lead by example and the students are watching. This is the basis of a lot of issues as this but no one wants to mention it.

Sign In to comment