Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Karen,
this is definitely a good & fair point. I think the concern with many is that the students find it hard to limit their use to just class related information/content.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

In our classrooms phones aren't allowed out during lecture, and you have to handle it on a one on one level I have found or make note of it and show the students how it takes away from there learning.

I agree with you on that point. Within generation Y, I see far too many of my peers that spend their work hours texting, making personal calls, or sitting on Facebook. These are terrible habits that can cost you a job. That is the reason I don't allow cell phone use in my class. If it's an urgent (emergency) call, the student can gladly leave the room and take the call. As for laptops, I routinely walk around the room. If the student is actually using the laptop for notes, then this doesn't bother them at all. If they're off task, this tends to stop them.

I think this is an incredible idea. In fact, I'm going to suggest it at our next staff meeting !!

I am not a babyboomer, but I am an instructor in a technology career based institution. Sometimes students are very eager to look up specific things and they can get several aspects on subjects. Personal devices will not prepare them for the real world.

I went to a retail store the other day. When I handed the young clerk cash, it took five minutes to receive my change! The clerk had to ask another clerk who then took out a sheet of paper to figure it out. This is all after I had to consistantly tell them how much change I needed.

If the clerk could use their phone at work, I could have gotten my change quicker. So, do the devices hinder or help? I would have to say that the dependence on the personal devices do NOT help any generation that can not think on their own.

To troubleshoot or diagnose problems, cookie-cutter fixes for problems will not be available in google. Students must learn to think and problem solve on their own. I certainly do not wish to go to a doctor that has to research the internet without first going to his actual knowledge and experiences, knowing how the human body operates. If all the students learn is to look up everything without understanding how a system works, they will spend more time researching than actually fixing concerns for customers.

To troubleshoot or diagnose problems,fixes for problems will not be available in google. Students must learn to think and problem solve on their own. I certainly do not wish to go to a doctor that has to research the internet without first going to his actual knowledge and experiences, knowing how the human body operates. If all the students learn is to look up everything without understanding how a system works, they will spend more time researching than actually fixing concerns for customers.

These devices are a quick easy resource for information but they do not promote critical thinking or problem solving skills

I firmly believe you hit the nail on the head right here. We are dealing with a very selfish generation. When you tell students to put their phones away or lay down the law and tell them they aren´t allowed to do something they spend hours upon hours a day doing, it´s even more distracting. They are going to spend more time trying to get out of the box that you have placed them in instead of embracing what we feel is disrespectful and using it in a positive way.

If it´s not the cell phone, it would be something else. There is always a level of distraction that can deter students from learning effectively. I didn´t have a cell phone until I was in college, but I found other things to distract me with while the teacher was instructing. A pencil and paper would allow me to doodle for hours without paying attention.

Chris,
this is a great statement. And I think it's important to recognize the value of the tool, yet realize it has limitations.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Especially Generation Y students, they have a hard time sitting in class and not looking at their phones and other forms of technology. I have started asking students to pull out there phones and look something up on the internet. I have found this is a great way to get students involved. This also allows students to bring in different articles and not take as much time (going to the library).

Mary,
this is a good idea & maybe even these little tech breaks help them not be addicted quite so much.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

In many cases, the cell phone is like a drug. I have seen students who have forgot their phone and they literally act like they are withdrawing from a drug. It is great that we live in this connected world, but it really is getting to the point of addition for some people. Taking the ability away to have the devices makes more of a problem I think, so the key to to not allow the student to get too distracted by the device, but still allow them to get their "fix" when they need it!

I have done this in class also, for Generation Y I have found it's hard for them to just focus on one task. So lectures have to be broken up to keep their attention.

Jennifer,
yes, breaking up the lectures with meaningful discussions & activities is a great way to keep the students from being distracted.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I also try to implement a no cell phone policy in my classroom, however I found that most students would ignore it. Many Gen Y'ers are proficient at texting without looking under the desk. Conversely, I also teach many young parents that justify their need to be near their phone "in case of an emergency." I tried one semester to have a policy of phones on the top right hand corner of the desk at all times. Therefore, if a student went for their phone, it would be quite obvious. It didn't take long for students to start stating that they didn't have their phones to put on the desk and it was right back to texting under their desk. Its a battle that I am losing at every day.

We have a fairly strict no phones rule, but I do give them a chance to be adult about the usage in class. I explain that I have one that is set to vibrate, and that it is for emergencies. I relate that I prefer to give them the same liberty to carry and use personal electronics that I enjoy. I won't text in the middle of a lecture, but rather excuse myself if it is an emergency. I ask that they do the same. If, as a class, the useage becomes distracting, then I require them to be turned off.

I feel that the issue will only become more pronounced as time goes on. My 11 year old daughter in a gifted elementary program has "BYOT" (bring your own technology)in her classroom. Their is Wifi access and the students are tasked with going to specific sites on their portable devices to complete course work. She uses her phone to access Edmodo which is a classroom based social networking site, and can chat with her teachers and classmates about homework and assignements after hours.
I believe making a phone part of the curriculum validates its presence in the classroom environment and makes prohibiting it seem too restrictive to the student as time goes on.

I've often thought about doing this as well. It's quite frustrating to have to constantly tell people to put their phones away. I deduct points now every time I see the phone out.

Sign In to comment