Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Jeff,
I think this is an interesting idea. It would definitely be a challenge to keep them from distractions but this is the main idea behind geo-caching & other activities.

Dr. Ryan Meers

They are addicted to them. In the real world that we are preparing them for it can cost them their job. There should be a happy medium where we are not enabling them.

We have the same policy at my campus. At the beginning of each term I explain to them that I can be their excuse for taking a vacation from the phone for 4 hours every day. Sometimes students thank me for it later, and others feel like I am torturing them for 4 hours.

Jennifer,
that's a great phrase, I may have to steal that one. It really is helpful to our students if we can help them see the value in "unplugging."

Dr. Ryan Meers

I have same policy in my classroom. I remind students when they enter the specialized workforce we are training them for, they cannot have their phones in their lap or on the table, especially in the legal environment they will soon be entering. Gen Yers still cannot break themselves from checking their phones under the table any chance they can. They probably will not see the importance of "unplugging" until they are reprimanded by a judge or attorney. I hope then it will sink in that it is okay to not be "connected" every second of the day.

Desiree,
unfortunately I'm not sure the issue is always with the technology as much as it is that this generation has been allowed to be very selfish & somewhat disrespectful. They are not accustomed to sacrificing their technology for others.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I teach at a trade school where 95% of what we do is hands on. I wish we could have a no phone policy. Students can’t seem to put their phones away. They are often distracted by text messages and completely forget what they were doing. Many students also say they can’t concentrate without music in their ears. For safety reasons we don’t allow students to wear ear buds, but we constantly have to tell students to remove them.

We only have one break in 5 hours and our school has a 'no phones' policy. I have tried to be nice and say, "You can check your phone once every hour" but that quickly turns into checking their phones every 15 minutes or less...

Colin,
yes, unfortunately it seems like if we give them an inch, it will allow them to go the proverbial mile.

Dr. Ryan Meers

The idea of a 'break' from technological is difficult. I know there are those 'devide free' days at places. I have never tried it but always want to. I was telling my adult students (of several generations) about the idea, and their eyes bugged out. Especially when I told them how people reported being more relaxed and less stressed.
They also were somewhat aghast when I mentioned that I had read stats on the actual amount of texting or phone calls that would qualify as important or necessary, espeically among teenagers who rack up the minutes. Many of my students are parents. People always seeem to use the 'important messages' defense as a reason for cell phones, texting, etc. and yet there is most stats show that very liitle of the actual use of these new electronic devices is for 'important' or 'emergency' sitautions.
Sorry, I'm very cynical about these devices, and perhaps that shows in my tone. I do have a cell phone, yes, and I know I use it frivolously too. But it is amazing how quickly it has become just a part of everyone's body almost literally.

Ian,
this is so true. It's interesting to stop & think about how our perspective has changed with the advent of these devices. We expect to be responded to immediately & want that instant access to everything.

Dr. Ryan Meers

My students have their phones turned off for the entire class. The school insists the students turn their phones off. Most workplaces frown on cell phones during business hours. We find the students learn to survive without being with their texts, Facebook and emails. It prepares them for the business world.

Holly,
and this really does help them to see that they don't have to be constantly connected all the time.

Dr. Ryan Meers

The business world is highly engagaed in Technology- if you cant beat them- employ them- how about using the phone as part of the classroom experience? We have a no phone policy which I stick to. However I incorporate technology into the classroom when doing research, asking a question and having each of them look at a different source from online and contrast and compare and so on. Smart phones are Smart- let's use them to learn!

I also wonder if anyone has had any success at incorporating learning with these devices and the outcome. We have a no cell phone policy at our school but they are allowed to have them on their breaks. It is quite funny seeing them go out for break and the phone is in their hand before their second foot is out of the door.

I deal with this issue in my classes, as well. I love to tell them about how when I attended college, we had to use a pay phone - with a quarter. I feel that my generation does not tolerate phones, texting as well in social situations. I find it rude to text or answer a phone during conversations, checking out in the grocery store, even issues related to driving. Technology is good and bad. I do enforce this rule in my classes, but also educate them on the fact that they are not allowed in the externship setting, or in the workforce. Rules need to be followed, and I feel it has to do more with respect for rules and the people who make/enforce them - whether it is a teacher, employer, or parent. I do enjoy the phone, texting as well. It can be a bit addicting!!! But, respect needs to be shown for the situation at the time.

As an Instructor at a vocational/educational facilty, 2x a year we have a group of industry professionals known as PAC (Program Advisory Commitee)visit our facility and observe the going's on in the "lab enviroment".

A couple of years ago, the "PAC" commitee returned with recommendations for our lab enviroments.

At the top of their list was "No cell phone usage (calls or texting)during lecture or lab" as a way to prepare the students for the real world in the profession for which they are obtaining their education. (Employer's in our industry frown on cell phone usage as it detracts from productivity and attention to detail).

This by far is the hardest thing to control. We encourage our students to step outside if they absolutly have to take that call or respond to a text message. (just so we don't off like the cell phone police). I spend more time having to tell someone to either put it away or step outside to do what ever they need to do on their cell phone.

Because we utilize "flat rate grading" in our lab enviroment, so when the student does his "cell phone thing" and then presents us his paperwork for grading and wonders why he went over the flat rate, I ask them what was it that they were doing (or not doing) that caused them to go over the flat rate time, (oh I had take this call or make this text).

As the Instructor, I can modify their flat rate grade if the student shows me that the reason he (she, as it appears that the female student body is the worst offender in this)has had technical difficulties with the project or has performed repairs to the unit outside the scope of the project, but I give no consideration to modifing their flat rate if their having been on the cell phone was the reason for their flat rate overage time which reduces their effiencey grade.

I by far would love to have a box in which the students could place their cell phones during lecture or lab and then pick them up afterwords.

So much time and energy is wasted on this subject, I beleive this is a case in which "technology" has become more of hinderence as "cell phone and texting usage" will alway's be a great temptation to any Gen X or Gen Y'er as it has been proven many times over that that the attention span of these Generations are short lived as they require instantanious gratification.

I what to know what I need to know and I want to know it now. I don't want to read it, I don't want to understand it, I just want to do it and now give my grade.

The problem i have found with trying to police the no cell phone policy is you spend all your time policing and not enough time teaching, so I ask them to take the call outside (it seems to work better, with less resistance)

Darrell,
you have definitely captured the frustration of many. I think the great thing is that you have "professional" back-up to take to your students & let them know what the PAC said; this is not allowed in the professional world. Driving home to them that it is not a matter of a grade, it is a matter of your job & livelihood.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

So why do we demand students to turn off their personal devices?

Is it so we babyboomer instructors can have "control" of the classroom?

I have found that students are eager to "look up" course content answers on their smart phones and are very willing to participate with their instant answer devices.

Rather than asking students to find the definitions/differences of linoleic and linolenic essential fatty acids, I assigned the two terms to each half of the classroom. We all learned about essential fatty acids and examples that day.

Sign In to comment