Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Generation Y, more on top of things.

A year ago I went on a road trip with my Daughter. She comes on the forefront of generation Y. I hadn't seen her for a while and was annoyed that the iPhone was "demading" her time. By the end of the trip my attitude had adjusted. My "navigator" found the cheapest gas, where the pizza was, the weather, etc...

And the dohicky has an altimeter, and lat/long plotter.

I adjusted.

We can all rub off and learn from each other!

Adapting to the newer technology has proven to be, in many ways, helpful. I teach imaging software and even though I am solidly in the boomer generation (born 1948) I have had to adapt as my profession (photographer) has undergone sweeping changes. As aware of these changes as I am I find it necessary to point out to my gen Y students that even though we are currently going through the biggest tech revolution our craft has ever seen the things that make a good image remain rooted in principals that have evolved over centuries.

lol! I can relate...I'm a genX yet also an info junkie and use technology daily. I've shunned the television years ago and rely on internet for my primary mode of information. I'm still working on my baby boomer parents attitude that I'm spending too much time with 'technology'. (I attempt to convert them or at least have them understand in between their weekly television shows/dramas that they view.)

lol! hey Geo...just saw this was from you. I'm a gen X right? lol

Sandra,
you illustrate a key idea here. Every generation is some type of technological "junkie" the forms just change. The printing press was new technology when it first came out. It's a matter of helping the generations understand each other & not judge.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I think that when you decided to change your attitude about the iPhone, you said something very important. As instructors it is our job to see things from our students perspective in order to relate to them. Just as with your daughter, in order to make that relationship work and be effective,you had to understand things the way she does. In the end, just like you and your daughter, instructors and students will benefit by this assimilation.

Pamela,
well said. I've found the important thing is to be, as you said, understanding rather than judgmental.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I see the same adjustments necessary, being a very early Gen x, I see how I fit into that catagory, but I seem to easily adapt to the other generations thinking. It is important that those of us who are trying to teach another generation take what they use best as a learning tool instead of an intrusion into 'our' space and time.

Phillip,
I agree that we really need to have an open mind & see how we can use their tools to reach them.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I have taken on the task to understand. The electronics are a great resource. I feel we need to use this technology with the understanding "there is a time and place for everything. let's incorporate this message in the best intrest of our company partners.

The electronics are a great resource. I feel we need to use this technology.

Ben ,
I agree that we use the technology with this understanding. Having come from the corporate T&D world, technology is a distraction & frustration there too.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I agree but we have got to do it in a way that restricts them from abusing the priveledge. The "gen y" students seem surprised when they are held accountable for their actions. I understand that they live in a microwave world and expect immediate results. I have found that if they are not monitored closely that they will stray from the project.

I was born in 41 and was somewhat intimidated by technology when I began teaching after my retirement from nursing. I had to adjust and immerse myself in the new technology, but I found that I had experiences to share with my students, and conversely they took great pleasure in helping me adjust to the new technology. it has been a heartwarming experience and I am very happy. Everyone should be teaching and learning every day of their lives. L Creadon

lorraine,
this is a great testimony to the truth that Gen Y does not expect all of us to be tech experts, but they do highly value those real life experiences we can share.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I agree. Especially in a classroom setting, I believe there should be clear boundaries on when the "gadgets," internet searches can be used. Otherwise, instead of listening to the instructor or doing what is required, they tend to be off in their own little world, checking Facebook, surfing the web, checking texts/emails. I have two generations in my classroom, Gen Y and Gen X. While setting what I believe to be clear boundaries on when they can/can't use iPhone, internet, the Gen Y students ALWAYS disregard these instructions. Gen Xers always comply. Any recommendations on how to get Gen Yers to comply?

Desiree,
unfortunately I'm not sure there is a magic answer to this difficult problem. I would say you've started well with the clear boundaries & expectations, just try to enforce them.

Dr. Ryan Meers

All these gadgets are extremely useful tools, but like anything else they can be a distraction. Yes the phone would be great in class while disassembling a transmission and using the camera option to document the steps taking for disassembly. Could als be a distraction while waiting for the instructor to check your work the phone would instead be used for a round of Angry Birds.

Henry,
and that comes down to maturity & knowing how to best use the time. It can definitely pose this temptation & we need to help our students learn to use these tools the right way.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment