Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

With the proper training, I believe anyone who is motivated could and should teach ELL. English is my second language, and I am also an ELL’s teacher. I have seen the importance students place on finding a relevance to everything we cover in class. It is not only about mastering the language, but to be able to be productive members of society.

Rosa,
Yes, I agree. Language is only a tool to being productive. It is almost like we need to teach a course in Reality Language. The proper language that is needed to be professional in a career. I once taught Speaking Effectively which was usually the second course after students took their first ELL course. I found the students to be so motivated to learn.

Arlene Muller

Anyone can teach ESL students but I do believe not everyone should. Those who respect the fact that our country is nation of immigrants will respect those being taught. We tend to forget that somewhere in our family tree an ancestor made the trip the land of the free and the home of the brave. I always tell my students that we all have different first names but the same last name. We are African Americans, Irish Americans, Italian Americans, Puerto Rican Americans and so on. Let us not forget that we are all Americans. This country is like no other country in the world. Where else can one go and be part of that country. You may move to China but you will never be Chinese. Once we understand this, anyone can help a fellow immigrant learn the primary language and become an educated American.

Sor Angel,
I love your conviction. That is a great way to start a class and have your students working together under one concept. I know you inspire your students with this introduction.. I wanted my students to learn how to give and receive respects from each other. I had them and the instructors as well refer to them as Mr. Dave and Miss Sabrina in the classroom. If you like the idea, try it even for a day. I used it for the entire semester because I was dealing with foul language in the classroom and on breaks. It worked.

Arlene Muller

Every instructor has certain abilities but some could be more affective with the ESL student. Having patience in the classroom with all students is crucial to provide a proper learning environment.

Donald,

When an instructor shows patience in the classroom, the students feel more relaxed and are able to learn. You have a great attitude!

Arlene Muller

"Anyone?"Yes, of course. That being said, it would be beneficial for instructors to have training, or better yet, experience, in teach ELL learners.

I spent a year in Japan teaching all grade levels English, and it was quite the eye opener. The cultural differences of the classrooms alone were sometimes very shocking. At the same time, I was learning Japanese myself, and quickly came to understand the issues that foreign students in America struggle with.

It'd be great if all teachers did an internship overseas, It'll never happen, but it was probably the most educational year of my life.

Brian,
I agree, however, not everyone will have the opportunity to travel. The next best thing is to start and learn a second language. I am currently learning German and I can only admire the students you have in your classroom. Your students are lucky to have you as their instructors.

Arlene Muller

Absolutely. I think it is the same as asking a question like can anyone learn English. The answer is that with the correct training, learning and experience anyone will be able to.

Without a doubt as long as there is patience and a willingness to learn on the instructors end. If there isn't then the educator has no business teaching to begin with. We cannot expect our students to learn if we are not willing to do the same.

Shari,
Yes, I agree. I am learning German and I find that I have the same problems as my students and that allows me to help them learn.

Arlene Muller

Navinthran,
When you create a safe space for learning with a motivating instructor learning is possible. The instructor add a connection and a dash of fun and learning will go to the next level. The instructor present short activities with success and learning is rewarding.

Arlene Muller

I agree as an instructor you have to have to have the patience for your students. The ability to learn a different language can be foreign to many individuals but everyone can learn over time and patience.

Karine,
To fully understand one just needs to try learning a new language. I am learning German and it is extremely difficult for me, which has given me a new perspective and understanding for my students. I agree with you.

Arlene Muller

Teaching is not for anyone. As we all know, the skills needed to be a proficient teacher are multi-varied: organization, planning strategies, self discipline, management skills; as well as, public speaking skills, humor, and even acting. All of these things are required to be an excellent instructor. I believe that when working with ELL students (and I have but poorly) these skills take on new aspects and complications.

teaching any student is not just for anyone; and teaching ELL students will need more of these skills; plus, other skills such patients etc.

Marshall,
There is always an aspect of reality in every profession. You need to "Love" teaching and patients is a virtue that allows you to see the wonderful results of learning by your students each day.

Arlene Muller

Yes..I think anyone can teach ELL students.....provided that they have the patience to deal with the problems that go along with the instruction. A whole new group of challenges enter into the equation and have to be dealt with.
This can be fascilitated by not mixing ELL students with native born english speakers if possible!

Ronald,
Yes, I can understand the frustration when the ELL students attend the same class with native born English students. I also know that a separation is not always possible. The learning experience occurs when you have activities in the classroom that will allow the students to learn from each other. Small group activities that occur each day and correspond to the day of the week. Make life interesting by having age appropriate names for each group. On Monday the Red Team has only 1 or 2 ELL students in the group. On Tuesday the class works in the dinosaurier groups with 2-3 ELL students in the group. Each day new groups with different names. On Wed. all the ELL students are in one group. You get the idea. Keep the groups small to allow the students to learn from each other. There is the advantage that the ELL students will learn from the native English students and the reverse is also true. It also works if you have the native students learn a second language in the class taught by the ELL students. These are only ideas to help you reach beyond frustration and to help inspire new thoughts.

Arlene Muller

I am so with you on that note. A person who will teach this needs to be open and patient to what they may encounter from a student and a class as a whole.

Donna,

Yes, teaching is an opportunity and the students will show their excitement when you turn the learning light on in their heads.

Arlene Muller

Sign In to comment