Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Emotions

When I first starting instructing I found it quite difficult with contolling my facial expressions only. My verbal expressions of emotions were intact and self-controlled. Now I work everyday to be more aware of my facial expressions as well because I feel this could be a important Soft Skill to possess, as well. Does anyone feel the same?

I really liked the idea of creating an emotion. I have been focusing on that in my personal life as well. Last term was very stressful for me because my child was very ill, and I began to notice myself fall into an emotional pattern of worry that bordered on anxiety. I have been working to accept things and to deal with them as they come vs. trying to figure everything out ahead of time.

As far as facial expressions go, it has become a habit to me to smile a lot. I think that is because in dentistry, we try to always be upbeat and positive, no matter what is going on behind the scenes, because patients are generally afraid to be there :)

Even if someone has really ticked me off, if I take a deep breath and smile, I can usually shake off the emotion of frustration, etc.

I feel that I do a really good job maintaining a positive attitude. However, when a student disrupts the classroom I may show some signs of being agitated and at times have trouble focusing for the remainder of the class.  I realize know that I can do a better job of controlling that emotion. Thank you.

I have the same problem. My facial expressions have gotten me in trouble since I was little. I am trying to work on it.

This may sound odd but when I started my problem was the opposite. When I started I was not accustomed to telling people older than me to put their cell phones away and enforcing discipline on people I had already given warnings to.

It took me a bit to realize I needed to use "the look" sometimes and be comfortable being firm with boundaries and allowing my expressions to let them know when I was serious and mean what I say!

Absolutely, I just have to remember that everyones eyes are on me as I am the one presenting in the room.  I try to always have a smile on my face and have a positive attitude.

Sign In to comment