Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Education Starts in the home

All too often, we have collectively been instructed in the traditional brick and mortar settings. However, in today's society and with the millennium population, electronics has taken education to a whole new level of learning. While Education does begin with parents as a child, it is now the norm to find that the Generation X individuals are seeking education to better themselves through the newest of technologies or cyber schools in order to obtain a degree of some sort to advance themselves into a better job.

Myself, I have students that range from the low end of 18 years to the higher end of 54 years old. The challenges that are put forth for us instructors is maintaining and keeping each of those individuals active in the learning. From an instructors point of view, there are a number of challenges for the older population of grabbing their attention through cyber schooling where these individuals are more hands on and need that interaction, however, do not have the time to go to the brick and mortar institutions.

Some of the newest methods of cyber schooling include the face time via internet. This may prove to be extremely beneficial for the older population to understand the information.

Steven,
This is a great opportunity to help the older generation feel more comfortable with technology. Good thought!

Shelly Crider

I also have a wide range of students in class I often find that the older students can help the younger students with soft skills such as integrity and motivation while the younger students can help the older with technology. 

I think now is an exciting time for students of all ages in school. From the little ones starting out in school they have already been hard wired to some type of computer or computer technology. They already know how to look for information on the internet, play educational games and how wonderful it is for them to learn and get instant feedback.  They can also help each other in school settings. They can discuss how to do something and show others some tools or ways to do things, the creative side in them really shows through. 

I think for adult learners, it sometimes is difficult for them to learn these skills because they learned how to learn with reading, writing, and it takes time to learn new skills. They have to be open to learn. What is nice about today in education is that there is so much a person can investigate in learning by using a computer.

One con that I have is I would like to see penmanship kept in the schools. I feel even though we have computers to write papers, print pictures with our own designs, and the many other things we can do on the computer, penmanship should stay.

Sign In to comment