Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Professional Skills

Not exactly sure as to what I'd like to post/discuss on this class. The name of the course is very misleading. Issues on attitude, teamwork and negotiation where not addressed.

Yes writing and computer lit are an important part of a career but those fall under hard skills. Professionalism it's self is a soft skill. Soft skills are tricky to teach because they involve making adjustments to students personality and people skills. Issues can be discussed and situations can be practiced. But I believe the best way to teach it is through leading by example. All staff on campus should treat students with respect and in the most professional polite manner possible. Using correct speech, writing, and interactions with other.

Jill,
Nothing better than leading through example! Great job!!

Shelly Crider

Hi Jill,
I agree a 100% with your comments. I struggle with teaching Professionalism on our campus because our students come from an enviornment where they do not know what it is nor understand the norms included with professionalism. Our employers tell us time and time again that our graduates lack soft skills. I do my best to incorporate these skills in my course, Principles of Sociology. I lead by example and I correct them as much as I can without compromising our relationship that is built on mutual respect. Best of Luck!
Marlene

I too thought that this course dealt more with teaching students professionalism, their soft skills. I just completed the first segment, hopefully it will address these later in the course.

Debra,
It is always good to find out from our peers through discussion what they are doing with their students. Thanks for the input.

Shelly Crider

I agree, I like to lead through example. When I try to follow someone who is not the best example, I am reminded time and again how important it is to be a good leader.

I hope this course goes into teaching these types of skills.

Deb C

Deb,
It is important to be the leader, sharing your experiences can work miracles on some students.

Shelly Crider

Teaching professional skills at my learning facility has been increasingly difficult. Students seem to be connected with their cell phones. It doesn't matter how much I stress that this is not going to fly in the work place, we are still harping on this issue. Because of this students' communication skills are very low. They do not know how to carry on a verbal conversation, write a proper letter, and basic manners do not seem to be a staple.Instructors are role models, but we need to stress professionalism using speech, written communication, and actually interacting with all people.

Laurel,
Maybe you should do some podcasting so that the students have to use their phones!

Shelly Crider

I also thought it would cover more. But I also was reminded of how students need to be taken back to the basics sometimes. Start from the bottom and work your way up to more skills. If not professional then they have nothing.

Dana,
Oh so true. I think you can see that in some "professional" athletes!

Shelly Crider

I agree that cell phones are increasingly becoming a barrier between us and our students and are a major factor in the direction that students' soft skills are going. It's important to force students to address issues face-to-face. For example, often I will see a student in class and then a few minutes after class is dismissed get an email regarding something the student is upset about. My response is that I would love to deal with this issue face-to-face and suggest times in which we can meet. Often students do not follow up, so I do my best to seek them out and "force" this interaction. I also make sure to stress the importance of dealing with these issues in a more professional manner.

Melissa,
I am glad that you reinforce a face to face meeting.

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment