Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

TECHNOLOGY IN THE CLASSROOM

Professionalism in the classroom or workplace demands knowledge of computers and soft, as well as hard professional skills; however, can technology be utilized more in the classroom in smaller devices, such as: cell phones, iPads, etc.?

Since it is problematic to control these devices, is there any way we can incorporate their usage into the curriculums in order to create more savvy students, and, to offer them not only a venue for use, but also to present a boundary for when they would not be used in a classroom scenarios?

Nancy,
I love the fact that we can incorporate all technologies into a classroom.

Shelly Crider

Our rules here do not allow for the use of cell phones in the classroom. My take on this is the fact that we are teaching an adult program here. The students can usually find information faster on their cell phones today than with the computers in the classroom. We have kicked around the idea of using Ipads, but the the school is too fixated on the students playing on their devices instead of paying attention. I would like to see the usage of both being allowed and to hold the students accountable for their own grades if they choose not to pay attention. Do not put this guilt trip on the instructor if they score poorly. It would not be the instructor's fault. With the economy the way it is, too much emphasis it put on retention instead of keeping the students happy. A happy student, not burdened by unnecessary rules, is less likely to drop the program, even if held accountable. This is a technology era and we need it in the classroom.

Eric,
Nicely stated. Yes we are most certainly in the technology era and it is not planning on going anywhere!

Shelly Crider

At some point the students have to take ownership of their educational experience. The usage of these types of devices are becoming more mainstay in our daily lives, and offer greater benefits in learning than they are being used for. As educators we can offer the experience we have in self control and the advantages we gained professionally using these devices in our daily work place.

John,
I so agree! We do want students to take ownership of their education!

Shelly Crider

If this is the case i get the students together so they can share with the others that do not have a iPad, cell phones etc? make it a learning experiance for all.

I think technology can help in the classroom, but it's one more tool. There's a need for variety in ways classes are taught. With today's students, I like to stick with 20-30 minutes assignments to chop up the class and maintain activity. When we were in school, lecturing was it, but today we have to provide different ways to learn and technology is one of them.

I too have thought of allowing the use of phones and their technology in my classroom, but the students get too distracted with social media. I agree that schools are far too worried with retention instead of making the students responsible for their own lack of participation and concentration. In my court reporting class we get a break every hour, and a few of my students cannot wait to check their phones for text messages or a new post of some sort when the dictation ends, although they can also check it on their laptops. As an educator I have to try to keep them as engaged as possible and hope my instruction is more captivating(most of the time)than social media. Though I find social media has become a terrible addiction to most young people.

Lisa,
It is a terrible addiction that has hit our students. Maybe Facebook will make an app for schools to block reception when within a certain range of special buildings....courts, schools, church, ect.

Shelly Crider

I find the same in my classroom. There is always a break around the halway point in my 2 hour lectures, and immediately 90% of the students get their phones out to swipe through their newsfeed. I would like to have a way to utilize these technologies, however social media seems to be too big of a distraction for most right now. I do allow tablets and laptops out during lecture, but not cell phones.

Kurt,
It is funny how cell phones have taken over most lives.

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment