Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

tips to improve EQ/behaviors

I found this statement thought provoking (from the tips to improve EQ under manage your emotions), Start with a plan to motivate the group and the more you manage emotions the less need you will have to manage behaviors. I am going to try to work this in to my new semester the end of January but not quite sure on how to get it started...any ideas??

I agree sometimes it feels like there are so many nice flowery concepts. But no steps to implement.

The goal is to keep a positive climate in the class (everyones attitudes)

I think this can be done by being positive yourself and nipping negativity as quickly as possible.

When I start a class I emphasis that your work is usually the biggest portion of your awake hours so you want it to be a happy place. And I put quotes on the board everyday ex "Be a fountain not a drain." "If you were arrested for being kind would there be enough evidence to convict you?"

I was curious about more suggestions on what I underlined above nipping negativity as quickly as possible.

Without negatively narking "Don't be negative"

I have thought saying "Solution oriented"-meaning let's shift the focus away from the complaining and the problem to what can we do about it.

I also know if a lot of people are upset you cannot ignore it and have it go away. I've had students pull out a piece of paper and give me anonymous feedback. This way they feel that they are heard and someone cares enough to check into it.

Please send me your ideas!

Sign In to comment