Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

EQ issues in the 21st century...BIG issue indeed.

So very relevant in today's society in the USA...I find that my students often arrive to class with various issues. The issues can be their car not running, misunderstanding in relationships or even babysitting care. I approach them with a little quote (Anticipate the Good... or something from a famous person...like Henry Ford who said...Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't...you're RIGHT. I stress to them that they CAN...to never give up or give in. After that...they usually settle in and do the work required. Often them approach me after class with a smile or words of thanks. I tell them that we ALL have "stuff" but we CAN manage it & be productive. It works...

You are so right, I find the same issues in my students, as well as the fact that many of them are raised to give up and/or not believe in themselves. If we as instructors don't give them the encouragement that they need, by expressing belief in their ability to succeed,and pushing them to not give up, but to change their emotional responses, many of them will just revert to what they have been told by their peers or families. They will believe the lie that says they can't change their lives. But if we do, we can help them to grow and change into what they were meant to be. I have seen it happen, it has happened to my students.

Pamela,
Keep giving encouragement. Everyone needs it.
Philip Campbell

I like your approach! I find that empathy and a genuine concern for a student's well being or situation goes a long way in gaining cooperation and respect. Sometimes we only see the tip of their icebergs and a little understanding and support goes a long way

Sign In to comment