Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Using this in my Job (Career) Development class

Another great module! Thank you so much. The information that I have just learned (and recalled) is going to come in very handy as a part of my Job Development Course I teach. I do go over Hard versus Soft Skills, but this just adds so much more. I also enjoyed this course, because I was able to take a look at myself, as an Instructor, as to just how many of my "soft skills" I am using. In addition, how many do I need to improve on. Thanks again for a great module. Christine M.

Christine,
Glad you liked it. many people do not realize what soft skills are or why they are important.
Philip Campbell

One of the courses I teach as well is Career Development, which is usually the first or second course offered to new students. This week, my students are writing their first draft of their resume and a cover letter. I passed out a six-page guide on "soft skills" and how to properly write an objective/summary and when as well as where to incorporate in a resume and cover letter. Prior to distributing the document, I had asked my students if they have ever heard the term "soft skills?" I had many perplexed faces,if you can imagine. Unfortunately, there was not one student who was aware of the term and its beneficial uses. Yes, we can apply these skills as professionals however students can benefit from these skills towards their career path as well. I am thankful that teaching is never boring since we all have something we can learn and we can share. Thank you for your comment. Jacquie G.

Our Career Development course is at the end of the course of studies; it prepares students to succeed in the workplace. And to get in the workplace. I have been teaching soft skills in that course from the beginning. This course has made me decide that soft skills need to be taught in Student Success, which is at the beginning of the course of studies. Whenever people get together (e.g., at school or at work), soft skills help make life better.

E.,
I agree, but don't feel like it can only be taught there too, teach it throughout the curriculum.
Philip Campbell

Sign In to comment