Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Learning Thy Self

I think before we develop skill sets such as soft skills, we first have to know ourselves. Many instructors including myself don't know what makes us who we are. We have to list self weaknesses, strength and then figure out what makes us tick or motivate us from the start. By learning ourselves, we can then focus on development of soft skills based on ourselves. We often do these type of learning thinking that one size fits all attitude. We are all unique and diverse that by using these techniques to fit out needs. Often we are too busy with our schedules, personal issues, we often do not reflect who we are in the first place. Often, we should reflect how we got here, who we are and from within, we can develop our own unique soft skills. The "Most Interesting Man" commercial speaks volumes. Once you know who you are, done things that no one has done, we become unique and students and others around you will treat you such so that your soft skills or "hook" will make you better and effective instructor/teacher.

Sonny,
Great examples. Looking at oneself is usually the start of a great change in people. Keep up the good work.
Philip Campbell

Decided to reply to your forum since no one else has except for the facilitator. I liked your comment that we first should know ourselves and reflect on our individuality and "uniqueness" in order to develop effective soft skills. Our soft skills is our ability to relate to the environment we are faced with or the people we interact with. The ability to adapt to situations in a safe and appropriate manner will probably lead to more success in your goals and aspirations. Showing off hard skills or demonstrating knowledge could be harmful.

Hey Paul, Great input here. I have read and witnessed the great ones in action in terms of soft skills. Some were 100% genuine, some are 100% fake but results are the same. The trick is, if all of us somehow reduce our own self insecurities and step out of our own skin with ability to step in to other person's skin, the softskills skyrockets. The problem is, most of us are so preoccupied with our own insecurities that we often fail to develop our own soft skills let alone persuade other people. Therefore, the question is, how do we develop our soft skills? How do we get rid of insecurities? How do we develop confidence? This are where many people differ in opinions on how to gaining this trait.

I really think you did a great jop on this post.
We must realize that we are unique and everyone can learn something if we just take the time out and listen. Once again great job on this post!

Phillip,
Glad you are seeing value with this. That is an important part of learning.
Philip Campbell

One of the things I have discovered as I learned about myself is that I am most intolerant of those things in others that I dislike in myself. I tend to be controlling of others and situations, yet I really dislike that in others. I have to be very careful when I encounter students who share characteristics with me...particularly the more powerful ones. Strange that it puts us at odds rather than closer.

Charla,
Wow, pretty deep Charla. Keep on discovering yourself.
Philip Campbell

I agree that you need to look at yourself before attempting to make a change. In the hallways of my school are mirrors with a sign above them stating "would you hire this technician?". I often like to think it says "would you like and learn from this instructor". It seems to help me be more self-aware of what I say and do while in the classroom.

Sign In to comment