Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Emotional Intelligence

This is a topic that is new for me and I am very excited to learn about it

Sara,
I am glad to hear you are excited to learn about this. Chances are you already have the information and just needed a way to help you verbalize it.
Philip Campbell

The notion of people skills has been around for a long time, and is really a function of common sense. It is common wisdom that in any relationship, be it spousal or bureaucratic, we need to engage in civil discourse and maintain reasonable interpersonal relations. The thing I liked about this course was that it presented the concept of people skills as the foundation of a model that can be used as guide in the classroom and workplace. It also made a very good argument for valuing EQ as an important attribute to be sought after and developed.

Ernest,
Thank you for your comments and the one on EQ. That is one that is not commonly thought of.
Philip Campbell

I actually enjoyed the breakdown of the EQ a lot! You always hear of IQ, people skills & workplace behavior, but I must say is the first time I hear of EQ and it was very informative & a eye opener as to why certain people are "unbalance" if we may say. We can be extremely smart & have a very high IQ but not be able to function in the world around us if we have a poor EQ! Loved this!

Lisandra,
Being able to function is apiece that is often overlooked. Do we have smart teachers? yes. Do we have smart students? Yes. But, how do they interact with each other? That is the piece that gets missed and now more employers are doing personality profiles to get a better idea of how someone might interact. Glad you enjoyed it.
Philip Campbell

I too chose this online course to learn more about soft skills and was very interested to learn more about EQ and it's impact on the workplace. Thinking back, my most effective managers have been "high EQ", while those with whom I did not have the best relationship were not quite as high on the EQ scale.
I actively work on this attribute as it is valuable not only in teaching, but most other career choices.
Does anybody believe EQ can be cultivated for those of us lacking in some of the skills?

Sign In to comment