Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Getting Students to Complete the assigned homework

I am having a really hard time this module with students just not wanting to complete the entire assignment!  They either skip questions or omit a whole section.  I have tried going over the questions on the homework in a class discussion, I have tried making the sections most students omit, worth triple the points to entice them to complete the whole section.  I am getting a whole lot of students with near failing grades.  I would think that having a low score would inspire them to inquire about such a low score, or ask me to help them, but they don't and just accept the super low score.  Does anyone have any suggestions to get the students to complete the entire assignment?

I make a homework sheet with check off boxes for my initials and sign as they complete each assignment in the chapters assigned for the whole 20 days of their course.

Chapter 25

• Spelling
  • abbreviations
  • Labeling

The due date is the 18th day of the module and that is when the sheet is due. I ask each student to show me their homework as they finish an assignment. This is a lot of work, but I get 99 percent participation, there is always the one student that refusing to do homework. So I have added homework questions to the exams with no review other than getting their homework checked off. By the end of the course I usually have 100 percent participation. 

If a student only had time for labeling I just check that off and they usually return the next day with the whole chapter done. Homework can be overwhelming and having a “To do” list reminds them what is due and to get it done. 

I could use some tips on this as well.  I am a Dental Assisting instructor and have a handful of students that don't do their homework or turn in thier study guides.  I agree the near failing grades don't seem to affect them.  These students are adults and still can't seem to get it together to turn in thier assignments.  I like the idea of the check off sheet.  

Sign In to comment