Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Dealing with student who are dis-engaged

Some time ago I recall having a student who would breake out in sweat and hands literally shake when doing any procedure. After taking with student privately I discovered that she does not want to do nursing and that it was his parent idea to force him to go to nursing school and he would rather work with computers.  

As his Clinical Instructor I told him how nursing informatic can be a career path that may interst him. What  tools could have been used to help this student?

I have had students that get dis-engaged at different points alot of times and their grades reflexs this, I share with them that they have to keep their goals infront of them and to make the subject important to them and then they will learn it better, retain more of the information and then the subject becomes less boring because it now has a value to it.

I have found while instructing if I am excited about the lecture material my students tend to be more engaged in class and interacting with the class as a whole during lecture. Instructors need to believe in what they are teaching and wanting to teach students in a classroom environment. Basically, I believe the instructor should be very passionate about teaching their career field to others and enjoy watching the students suceeding at it!

Sign In to comment