Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Students using texting instead of talking

I have students who like to text each other in class, Facebook, etc.

Stu, how might you use their skills of texting and social media tools to enhance your lesson plans and overall student participation? Part of being an instructor is to never lost the ability to be a live long learner so this is a great time to focus on gathering new skills.

James Jackson

This has been a huge issue in our school. We are trying to find ways to incorporate this into class, rather than trying to eliminate it. It seems impossible to get, especially younger, students to separate from their phones. So, we are doing things like having the students research a question and text the answer to the instructor rather than submitting on paper or verbally.

I really don't think it's a bad thing to text in class or out of class. Some student will notify their class mates if they will be running late to class or absent if they could'nt reach the teacher. This is a good example of how texting could be of use inthe classroom. Another example would be they could use texting to inform peers of changes made in class when that student is absent for the day. etc.

We have a school policy that states cells phones may not be used during class. I too have students that try to text during class. If you let it get out of hand, before you know it, all students have their gaze directed under their desk and no one is listening to the class content. I begin the class by asking everyone to be sure their phones are off and on the desk turned upside down. This helps to discourage that urge to "connect" during class time.

What a great idea! I'll have to see how I can make that strategy work for my students.

This seems like a good way to incorporate this technology in to the learning. We need to find ways to make it useful because it is not going to go away.

Wow this is a cool idea! I plan to do the same, I teacher in a computer lab and this seems to be a good exercise. Very hard to cut out cell phones in class it's part of life now. Thanks for a great response.

Sign In to comment