Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

First time jitters

I have made some of these same mistakes when I first started to teach. The one that stands out the most is letting my students know that I have not tought this class before.
I like the example of letting the students know that I am an expert in the field with 12 years of experance.

I believe in the military slogan, prior preparation prevents poor performance. Prepare, prepare, prepare. Know the information backwards and forwards and then fake it until you feel it. Present yourself as a professional, if you don't know the answer to something admit it while redirecting to something you do know. Never make excuses for yourself and give them a reason to lose respect for you as the authority in the classroom.

Hi Myrna,
Preparation is key! Students can quickly tell if you are unprepared, and they will eat you up once they determine you do not know your subject matter.

Patricia Scales

I agree with you about letting the students know I'd never taught before. Since then I've not repeated that mistake! My years of being a massage therapist have taught me alot. I have alot to teach them from life.

You can be prepared and a student can ask a question and throw you way off with what you want to say in answer.

Hi Pat,
Share your years of practical experience and display your knowledge base. Your students will think that you are the greatest instructor ever.

Patricia Scales

Sign In to comment