Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Friendly or friend

There is a big difference between being friendly and being a friend. You have to draw the line. Students could be confused if you don't, you must be to be as clear as possible about it.

I have found that sometimes you have to take a step back when students get the two confused. I care about each student in my class, but we are not friends. I had a student call me about a personal matter, and I quickly refocused the conversation on school related issues, letting her know that I also care about her as an individual and I am concerned about her success as a student. I can offer a listening ear, but we can not just chat and engage as friends.

Once an instructor befriends a student, he ( or she), has deprived himself of the respect to which he is entitled and, indeed, should demand. A student will not put forth the required effort to learn from a "buddy", and so the entire learning process is abandoned in this class as long as this lopsided relationship exists.

Hi Ray,
I agree! The instructor has to stay in full control to maintain a professional relationship with students instead of a friendship.

Patricia Scales

Sign In to comment