Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Resources for students

This module mentioned that adult learners who haven't been in school for many years are sometimes rusty when it comes to study skills. There are also situations when students are coming from not-so great high school educations. Providing lecture notes & outlines is a great idea.

In addition, a great instructor should be knowledgeable about resources the school provides for students (e.g. tutoring). There are also some great free online resources such as quizlet.com that generate flashcards. Many students struggle with memorization, so finding out how best to help them is a great thing to do to boost student success. What are some other ways to improve study skills?

Hi Karen,
Having volunteer study sessions and peer tutoring are effective ways to improve study skills. I also, like playing games to help with study skills.
Patricia

I think that learning about the tutoring which available through our library allows instructors to help their students succeed.

Students come from all walks in life, are of different ages, have different ethnic backgrounds, as well as different learning styles and just knowing that tutoring is available will help me help those students in need of assistance.

This is a good learning source as well for me as an instructor to prepare for double the time that the class is--so I will have enough material for lecture, reinforcement and activity so that the students will know that I care about their success.

Hi Noralee,
At my institution tutoring is available through Student Services. Instructors communicate with Student Services daily to make sure no one falls through the crack. Instructors also come in early and stay late to tutor students at my institution. There are several graduates of the institution that are employees that also help with tutoring. Peer tutoring is also encouraged.
Patricia

This is awesome. I think that having tutoring available by the instructors, tutors in the library, and by other students gives the students much more resources. Sounds like your institution has a wonderful support system for the students.

Hi Noralee,
My institution does have a great support system. It satisfies students to know that they have different options for getting help.
Patricia

Sign In to comment