Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Common Instructor Mistakes

when i lecture i find my self sometimes leaving students out you always include all the students

Hi Brian,
Why do you leave certain students out? I am sure it is not intentionally done. You are correct, all students are to be included.
Patricia

A strategy I've developed during lecture is to make the proverbial eye contact with all students. I don't stare, (unless there is reason to do so!), and I follow the 2-3 second rule. It also gives me an opportunity to monitor the class. I've noticed new instructors looking at the board or the props or almost anything else than the students in the past. Making eye contact is a relatively easy habit to develop.

I find that if I am asking questions I go around the room and give everyone in the class the opportunity to answer. This way everyone participates and it lets me know who does not understand and if I need to cover some of the material again.

Hi Laura,
This is a great way to determine who is grasping the concept. Sometimes some students just need a little more practice/time in order to understand.

Patricia Scales

Sign In to comment