Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Gaining Respect/Authority

I am wonder how to go about regaining respect/authority once it begins to slip in the classroom.

Hello Ilene,
You must let your students know that you care about them, but you must remain firm at all times. Once you have lost respect/authority it is hard to regain it with the same group of students. Whenever you get a new set of students lay your ground rules on Day 1 and stick to them no matter what.

You may want to try regaining respect/authority by giving your students a heart-to-heart talk and simply let them know you will no longer tolerate what you have tolerated, and you will make a sacrifical lamb out of someone. Once the student does something he or she should not do, you MUST make that person the sacrificial lamb so that the other students will know that you are not playing, you mean business. You will get the students' attention, thus regaining respect/authority.
Patricia

i am teaching auto tech to younger students and i have worked in a shop for 20 years with foul mouth tech and i also have used these worde often. i have tryed to stop but hard habits are hard to break and when one slips out the next thing i hear is the whole class using curse words every other word.the only thing that i can do is to appology to the class and remind them and myself this is not acceptable. i felt like i did loose my authority when this happen and i am taking extra care not to happen again.

Hi Joseph,
You are definitely the students' role model. Just remember, "Respect is earned." You must lead by example. Continue to try to be a good leader. You're right, bad habits are hard to break.
Patricia

Easier said than done, but if one person is undercutting you, confronting that student may bring the rest in line. It does not have to be anything harsh, just give them an awareness of what they are doing, and that you are firm. Often the class is glad someday has stood up to the troublemaker.

Otherwise I find being well organized, speaking clearly, making good eye contact with the students and having assignments that I expect them to do right here and now instills (or triggers) a disciplined reaction from them. Remember, by definition most people are followers. If you project knowledge and control the majority will do what you expect provided it is clearly stated and reasonable to them. (Again, easier said than done.) The navy's saying, "The captain can be wrong, but never unsure" holds true here.

Hello Richard,
I believe in making a sacrificial lamb out of someone. You are right, by dealing with the troublemaker will get the other students attention. All students will quickly realize you are not going to tolerate their disrespect.
Patricia

As you noticed, once you lose respect or control, it is very difficult to regain. I try to avoid the situation altogether by taking control from the start. Easily said, I know. When you finally realize you have a problem, as early as possible I confront the party responsible for disrupting the class. I state in no uncertain terms what is acceptable, and ask if he/she is willing to continue under those terms. The alternative is dismissal for the day, and if repeated the dismissal is permanent. If an overall pattern of disruption throughout the class is the problem, it may be because I allowed it to happen by not enforcing policy--and in this case I am the problem. I must reinsert myself as class leader (and not a class member) and work hard to maintain control until the end of the term. Hopefully, the mistake is not repeated next class.

Hi Steve,
As an educator, your reputation is already known. I have the reputation of being firm, but fair. When I walk into the clssroom on Day 1, I make a presence. You must take control from the very beginning and never allow things to escalate. Take care of potential problems immediately.
Patricia

I absolutely agree with Patricia, I also make a presence the first day imediately when I walk into the room.First a friendly hello and then scan the room for anyone or anything that is not in place.i.e. someone sitting on the table top or being overly loud or whatever may not be in the classroom atmosphere. Politely but firmly I correct the situation and then move on to polite informal conversation. This has always established the tone of authority and sets the stage for my formal introduction at class start.

Hi Keith,
I've always use this tactic, and it seems to work every time. It has worked for me for 20 years!
Patricia

I set the ground rules first thing on the first day,So my students know all of the school rules and my classroom rules. I will usualy have one or two students that will want to test the waters,but that is as far as it gets.Also enforcing the ruls will gain the respect of the other students as well.

It's a matter of discipline and it comes it two forms. Discipline through fear or discipline through respect. Discipline through fear is how Generals get shot in the back. If you don’t have discipline through respect, you heading for trouble.

Hi Louis,
Key is disciplining through respect. I have some students that are angel in my classes and in other classes they show out. I truly believe I get good behavior from these students because I respect them, and they respect me.
Patricia

It is almost the same as parenting. You set expectations/rules/guidlines and with that comes consequences. You have to follow through with the consequences to gain respect and maintain authority. If you never mark late work late then they will never hand it in on time.

Hi Regina,
Absolutely! What good are policies if they are not enforced. You lose all credibility if you do not enforce policies. Students view you as a push over.
Patricia

What other tactics have you used to "show presence"? It would be very helpful if they had a class in how to do this for new instructors!

Hi Cindy,
Your dress, speech, mannerism, actions, attitude, demeanor, confidence, etc.
Patricia

Hello,

I agree. If you do not uphold the policies and procedures of the college and bend the rules for some and not the other, that could be an issue.

Hi Alicia,
It really makes us out to be the bad guy, if we enforce rules and other instructors do not.
Patricia

Well said! Instructors need to be aware that it is not just about what we say that commands respect.

Sign In to comment