Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Silent student

Try saying hello and asking how they are doing on a regular basis to get them out of their shell.

I try to give positive feedback to the silent student and also try to work in groups in order to include this student in class work. Additionally, I will say hello and try to catch a few words on the side with them and perhaps share some humor with them.

during labs I have asked silent students to explain a procedure they are performing confidently. Some introverts find it easy to answer questions in that environment.it also lets me know if they have learned.

Hi Anthony,
Silent students certainly do a lot better in a smaller setting. They are just more confident whenever so many people are not invovled.

Patricia Scales

I agree with your statement. I think encouragement and praise on their abilities and progress in class will give them the confidence to come out of their "shell" as well.

With the silent student, I am sure to greet them each day and if I see them in passing in the hall, to say hello. Also, anytime they make a comment or good point, even if it is within the small group, I will address it with the class as a positive thought.
Jantez Taylor-Harrington

I will address this posting because I, too, am a silent learner. Throughout my studies at Barbados Community College, I have always been a silent and shy student. I never liked working in groups or giving public speeches. I tremble in front of a crowd and I 'break out in cold sweat' when hundreds of people are looking at me. I always say hello to my silent students, and I try to break them out of their shell, even though I know that it will not happen in 5 weeks. I usually tell them not to worry because 'still waters run deep' and 'empty vessel make the most noise'

I was a silent student, in the back of the room and keeping to myself. My professor discovered me through tests and started to call on me. Her seeing my abilities called me out and I was able to interact with more confidence. Letting a silent student know you value their opinion helps, but calling on them brings them out of their shell.

Sign In to comment