Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Management

You must manage your students or they will rule the classroom.

I totally agree but, it isn't just your management of your students; it is their own self management.

At the very beginning of the course you should lay out not only the course expectations but, YOUR expectations and what THEIR expectations should be of themselves. When giving them their expectations remember the 'Hook'...let them know what is in it for them.

If you lay down all these expectations very clearly at the very beginning then at any time you have issues with the class it is always very easy to step back and remind them of the expectations. Remind them what is in it for them.

Hi Walter,
Nicely stated! This is a great way to keep the students eyes on the prize.

Patricia Scales

I totally agree. As an adult, most of us really want to know what's expected of us. By being clear, by building a rapport of mutual respect, difficult students will tend to be more willing to work together or collaborate with you. I try to remember the WIIFM theory... what's in it for me. Appropriate Student behavior gains them more respect from both myself and their peers.

Hello Walter,
Your expectation of self management is solid, however we have students who are here on their own free will, they sometimes feel a pang for free thought. Many of our students come directly from high school and are out of their comfort xones for the first time. The ability to act out or test the waters is a social test as how they will be viewed by others as well.
Some of the biggest concerns I have in terms of "eye on the prize"is they often have never experianced success or been encouraged to actually pursue it. Yet it is our expectation

Hi Robert,
I agree! With our students for most of them we have to be their biggest cheerleader, simply because they do not know about keeping their eyes on the prize. We have to teach them everything along with keeping their eyes on the prize.

Patricia Scales

Sign In to comment