Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

angry students

Writing their anger down on paper helps the student.

writing helps in the short term. if nothing is done with the note of anger,students know it was all smoke and mirrors.

I agree. For a longer term solution, I believe it is necessary to sit down with the student and review together the written statement. Writing about anger can often difuse the anger and bring about more open communication. Anger can often be a form of displaced aggression. Anger can sometimes have nothing to do with what takes place in the classroom. I have had several instances of dealing with angry students where I kicked their problem upstairs so to speak and referred them to the Dean. Anger can be difficult to deal with but cannot be ignored. Also, the other students are watching how you handle the situation. Finally, classroom safety should be a major concern.

I believe that Listening attentively to an Angry student will help the student to some extent. Also writing the Reasons as to why he/she is Angry will Clearify the Source of the student's Anger. I also believe that students should be Directed to the Person/Source of the caused Anger, so some solutions can be reached.

I hate to just say I agree...but I do, there are times when we need to just listen. If the student has a complaint and is angry there is a reason why. So if we just take a moment and lsiten to the student we may be able to assist in the issue or direct the student to an area that help can be found.

Sign In to comment