Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

quite student

one of my student very qiute, answer some questions, passing all test with minimal grades.
I have tried to understaind whether the class lectures are understood by this student always very positive.
I am consern though that I may loose this student before the endo of the program.
any suggestions how to get this individual to open up a littlte more so that I could help a little more.
I do prepaire my class in groups for group work or discussions.

i had a student like that at night class eventually he did open up to the guy in his class who was a student of the term from there on out he relied on the freind he just met to help him

I would have a q&a session to see if she understand the lecture and this feedback will let you know if she is getting the lecture.

Hi Rosamond,
Great idea! I have found that most of them do get the lesson, they are just real shy. I like to give them leadership responsibility whenever group assignments are involved.
Patricia

Good Idea. I had a VERY shy student last term- she did not say a word the first 3 classes. I did not know if she was getting it until the first test... she aced it. I wrote on her graded test "well done"...after that she slowly came out of her shell and contributed more and more to class reviews.

Hi Deborah,
These students will surprise you. Sometimes their quietness can be where they are really focusing on their academics. These student just have to learn how to bring out their social side, and we can help as you have done by praising them.
Patricia

I love having a student that is quite, they are a chalenge, but they end up being some of the best students. most of the time they are just unsure of how to talk talk to the instructor. I like to find what they are into, music, food, sports...and we find a common ground. thus make them feel that they can come to me for help.

I use the "muddiest point" technique. I have students write their name on a 3x5 card and 1-3 ideas/concepts/topics that they feel are unclear on or muddiest. This way I can poll the class to see which topic(s) I may need to spend more time on and it also helps me get feedback from the quieter students.

Hi Annette,
I like this technique. It is a great way to bring about class involvement.
Patricia

I find it easier to deal with quieter students in smaller group activities.

I had two students who were particularly quiet this session, both coming in sitting at a desk with their backs to me, listening to iPods while working on their computer projects/assignments. As week 3 rolled around, I started to engage them in conversation, one-to-one, asking about their projects, did they need assistance, and reminding them that listening to iPods while in class was not acceptable classroom behaviors. I carefully worded my words, so as to gain confidence in our new teacher/student relationship.

That seemed to work, the next step was to place the entire class in small work assignments to complete their online research projects. This allowed the verbal students to bring out the shy students in small group discussions.

Both strategies work well.

I agree. Smaller groups make the quiet student interact. I have also found that one on one time with them is very helpful.

Sign In to comment