Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Challenging Authority

Many times I find that students who challenge authority are simply looking for structure in some part of their life. If you can find the root of the problem, whether you can do anything to help or not, you can sometimes help the student to find the skills to help themselves. But listening you also create a situation where you have shown interest and listened, you can be supportive but not allow the change from professional to friend.

Hi Barry,

I definitely agree with you, a challenge to authority is an opportunity to change their lives and add structure.

Bobbi Bricker

yes I have found that it is usually some type of structure that is lacking in some part of there life and helping them thru this issue can possibly help him to become a better student

Where I have the problem is regaining the control over the class/room. I also don't do very well with confrontation, so I can become very uncomfortable when I am being challenged. What are some good strategies for this occurs?

Hi Mary,
Never allow the class to get out of control. Make a presence on the first day as being friendly, yet firm. Hold students accoutable to abide by rules, policies, and procedures, and if any or broken, reprimand them accordingly. Whenever confrontations need to be made, deal with them immediately, and always deal with them from the work place perspective. Students need to be able to visualize and understand what they are doing is wrong.
Patricia

Hi Patricia,
I'm glad to hear that dealing with them from the workplace perspective is preferable. I have been successful in finding examples of situations in the workplace that apply to a student's challenging behavior. When I give these reasons as to why what they are doing needs to change, it makes the information more relevant to their future career. I'm not the type of instructor to use the reason, "because I said so." :)

Hi Kelley,
"Because I said so" does not work very well with adults. If you can apply situtations to the workplace they tend to understand better.
Patricia

I also think that if the student 'wins' an authority challenge that they feel they have more stability in life, even though they still have not addressed the primary insufficiency they have.

Sign In to comment