Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Cheating and Technology

It just seems to me that with the progression of technology (text messaging and web enabled cell phones, mini laptops, PSP's, Play Stations, XBox etc.); it has become too easy for a student to squeak by and cheat. Even when they purchase these new computer/video games, they are encouraged to "find the cheat codes" to make the game easier, and in some cases they can not solve/complete the game without them.
How do we reprogram these students to show them that there are no cheat codes in real life?

This is such a good observation and question on cheating students by the use of modern technoloy. It's probably harder for older instructor's, to catch them at their cheating game because some are not too computer savvy. I believe we need to stay current and very well informed so that we can beat them at their "game".

Very good question, Michael. I have my students leave their backpacks with laptops, cell phones, etc at the back of the room until class is over. That works great for one class, but the other is in a computer lab. So they take tests spread out, the old fashioned way without the computer. No one is allowed to get out their book or turn on their computer until after everyone finishes the test. Those that finish early are free to leave the room early. They know what time class will resume. I don't think my students would cheat, I just don't want to make it easy for them should they choose to. -Jeanne

I've had to forbid students from useing cell phones as cauculators because I caught some texting answers to friends.

Michael, recall that cheaters will cheat given the opportunity. That said, take away the tools that could promote the activity and cheating will cease. To further define "tools" are the things they will use to achieve the cheat. Whether it is a smart phone (which should be forbiden during class anyway) or readjusting seating so sitting too close to a neighbor is discouraged.

Sign In to comment