Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

unpreparated students

Unprepared students are a problem because we have to always go back for those to caught up.

Hi Patricia,
Keep moving forward. If a student needs to be caught up they will have to come in on their own time so that I can work with them to get them caught up. Do not punish the ones who are doing things right.

Patricia Scales

I really struggle with this, it is hard to continue on when they will become more behind.

They seem stumble on and on most of the time.Failing in the end unless you show how important it is to catch up.

Unprepared students can have a negative impact with other students in the classroom

Hi Patricia,
I keep moving forward in class. I will request the student come see me at break and then have them get caught up on their own time by either coming to class early or staying after class. When the student comes on their own time I make sure to spend time with them 1:1 getting them caught up and helping them to get organized. By helping the student to become more organized and spending this time with them it lets them know that they can get help when needed but, their own time.

Deborah Opie

I agree with the personal, one on one approach. If the instructor shows genuine interest in the students success, this will encourage the students to become motivated and pro-active with preparedness.
Kurt

Hi Kurt,
Yes, students need to know that we genuinely care about them.

Patricia Scales

Hi Deborah,
Great approach to take when students are unprepared! You can't hold up a class for an unprepared student; it is not fair! You must keep moving. I do not believe in punishing the good for the bad.

Patricia Scales

I issue a calendar in the beginning of each course (with the syllabus). This calendar includes when the reading assignment are due along with homework due dates and exam dates. I explain to students that they should use this as a checklist to ensure they are prepared for each class and ultimately a test. Especially in the first couple of weeks or when I see students not being prepared, I will give a 5 min quiz at the being of class based on the reading assignments or homework. I use these quizzes as extra credit toward their exams esp in the more challenging courses. If they are not in class on-time, they do not get to make-up this quiz and they have missed the extra credit opportunity.

My pet-peeve is when a student is unprepared and late. I explain at the beginning of the course as part of classroom etiquette, that if they are late to class they are not the disrupt class once it has started. They can met with me after class or the next break. I really stress this expectation in the beginning of the course.

Hi Phyllis,
I love your outlook! You really push your students to be the very best. I too have the same pet-peeve. I do not understand why some students just want to do enough to get by. I always gave my very best as a student, and it always showed. I preach to my students nothing but good comes from hard work!

Patricia Scales

Sign In to comment