Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The know it all student

This student will always try to answer every question even if the instructor clearly indicated who was to answer it. Sometimes this persists in spite of instructors intervention. Many times the student has to be told to wait for her turn. Alternatively the approach would be "this question is for so and so" before the question is actually given out. The know it all student plays it cool when hard questions are directed to them.

Hi Philemon,
It is always good to address the student who will be answering the question and then ask the question, i.e. Johnny, what causes...? Instead of What causes..Johnny?

Patricia Scales

I like to address the student that is being asked the question. If someone else tries to answer then I will ask them to hold that thought for one minute to give the student a chance to think about the answer, then I will go back and start a conversation about the topic using the other student that tried to jump in and answer the question.

Every once in awile I get that know it all student butt I try to get them figerd out right away and make sure I dont let them run the class

I also like to call the student by name that I am asking to answer the question. If someone else tries to take over and answer the question, I will also ask them to hold that thought and allow the original student to answer and if and when the original student has difficulty answering, they can defer to the "know it all student" as a lifeline.

Every so often, the know it all student appears in a class.
On one hand to have an enthusiastic and prepared student in the class is great but it quickly wears thin. The other students quickly resent the know it all and it can cause class tension.
When I have this situation in class - I will let the know it all answer a few questions and then tell them that someone else needs to answer.
After that I try to call on the quieter more reserved students. That way they can have the satisfaction and attention that the "know it all" usually captures.

Hi Colette,
You simply have to let the "know it all" student know that others need to participate as well. Don't sugar coat things with the "know it all" student. Nip it in the bud early.

Patricia Scales

often, I like to acknowledge and validate what the know-it all student says and then ask how another student feels about the question at hand. But if the know it all student persists, I tend to be short and sweet with them to avoid positively reinforcing this behavior. It has worked effectively in the past

I have a few students who do not like to be called on due to their english barrier. When I give them a question and they take a while to process the question and find the answer there are a few students who get frustrated and call the answer out. Rather than allowing this I need to put my focus on helping them understand the question better.

I agree with this approach. Usually all it takes is a one on one meeting with the know it all student. I praise them for being so prepared and excited about class, but also explain how important it is that I hear from their classmates. You are not going to change this persons personality. They are still going to want to show what they know, but by addressing it with them you can begin to make a shift in the classroom dynamic.

Hi Edward,
Yes, this is definitely the approach to take with the-know-it-all student. It really does make a difference.

Patricia Scales

What if your know it all student starts to challenge the teacher's knowledge of the subject? I had a student last semester who tried to start his own lecture every time he got to comment. The class size was very small and I found it very frustrating to contain him at times without becoming angry with his constant interruptions.

A few times, I gave him additional assignments that he could then present to the other class members for their benefit - mostly to help him prepare and research his opinions to better serve the class as a whole. What could I do in the future if this happens again?

Hi Amanda,
Let the know-it-all student this type of behaivor is not going to be tolerated, otherwise you will have to remove he/she from the course. You need to make higher authority aware as well. Have a private firm conversation with the student.

Patricia Scales

Praise does seem to go a long way with getting a know-it-all student to cooperate and have more restraint. A lot of times it seems that they not only want to show how smart they are, but are also looking for validation. Sometimes by briefly validating their knowledge before posing a question they are happy enough to sit back for a minute.

I usually make a statement early in the class as a warning to all students that if they ever encounter anyone who acts as if they "know it all" that they probably really do not. We live in an ever changing world and nobody knows everything. So far so good but I am suspect it won't work forever.

Hi Todd,
The know-it-all student can certainly be a challenge. This type of student has to be dealt with quickly and swiftly to let he/she know that this type of behavior is not going to be tolerated.

Patricia Scales

Sign In to comment