Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Personal Technology Useage In Class

I have noticed the challenge with students today is the usage of their cell phones. We have a policy of no cell phone use in class, but the challenge is when you notice student trying to sneak and text during class.

I have encountered this in my class. I usually say, "Janice, stop texting. I can see you. From where I'm standing, I can see EVERYTHING!" This usually gets a laugh from everyone. Then I remind the class there is a break every 50 minutes and they can use the break area and text at that time.

I agree. The texting student should immediately be called out in front of the class. Otherwise, the habitual text messenger will always be a distraction to you and to the class.

That's a great way to handle it!

We ask students to put cell phones on the top front of the table/desk face down and they are not to be touched until class is on break or over.

Cell phones are certainly a problem. Laptops are also really difficult to manage. In my school, laptops are given to the students and they are expected to use them for almost everything in and out of class, but when I'm lecturing and the laptops are open, as you can imagine the students aren't always using the laptops simply for note taking! Usually, I just politely request at certain times when focus is key that all laptops be closed.

Hi Rory,
Technology is good in the classroom, but it can certainly generate some challenges. You have to be very strict with you students when it comes to technology.

Patricia Scales

I think technology usage is going to become the standard in most classes moving forward. While social media, texting, instant messenger are "distractions" students will eventually realize they need to pay attention in order to score well on tests and quizzes, and to fully understand the expectations of the assignments.

There are very legitimate uses of cell phones, tablets, and computers in the classrooms, and I think instructors should keep that in mind before blanket banning all electronics from the class. Some of this includes electronic formats of the book, note taking software, word processors, calculators, and visual aids.

Timothy, I completely agree due to the fact I use personal technology in all my class to fully understand the expectations of the assignments.

I am constantly walking around the classroom. Very rarely stand in front or sit in front. I never go in the same direction twice and can see the students texting. I think schools should make a policy of shutting the phones off or put on vibrate. I'm going to try this policy in my next class.

The sad truth, I have found, is if you give an inch, they take a mile. I let one student use their phone once in class and it very quickly became an epidemic and I had to shut all of them down abruptly, which caused some tension for a time.

I agree with your technique. There are times where I instruct the students to close down their laptops for the balance of the session, since we will not need them. I also agree with simply standing near the student who is on the laptop. If they continue, I discuss it with them in private. I also take away class participation points after that occurs.

Sign In to comment