Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

helping students function in class

I like to put the problem student in the front row
and call on them more often.

When you put the "problem" student in the 1st row and then consistently call on them, it could be construed as "picking" on them. I lik to talk to the person in private first ad let them know my concerns and hear their feedback. Once this has dialogue has been opened, I stress my expectations for future behavior from this person. Again,a department head may be called in to listen in on th conversation andto act as a safe guard against hesay/she say accusations that may occur.

Hi JanetMarie,
I too speak with my students privately, and if the behavior does not change. I remove the students from my class. I will not tolerate disruptive behavior.

Patricia Scales

I have noticed that if you can "reign in" the problem student they can be a benefit to the entire class. They are the more obvious ones in the class because they are natural leaders.To cut them off or shut them down would be a disservice to them. They need to learn the correct balance in order to not anger or frustrate the rest of the class. We should also remind them that they need to use their leadership in a positive and effective way.

Sign In to comment