Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

What about the dominating question-answerer...

I sometimes have a student in class when I ask questions during lectures who always IMMEDIATELY answers the question so that no one else has a chance, even if you are looking directly at another student.
Any suggestions for politely saying 'let someone else answer once in a while!'

This is a great question. I always try to include students in lecture so that way I know they are following along. When I pose a question or have a student read something from the book I will always say " ok now someone else read about this, or answer this question." It seems to work well and that way there isn't only one person answering. I liked how they talked about using cards and each person gets a certain number, once they are out, no more questions for them. Perhaps you could try this for the answering as well. Once you answer you turn one in and you only get so many answers and then you have no more cards.

I had a student once, early in my career, who answered every question immediately and very aggressively. She was upset that the course was not covering "advanced material" she was seeking. She felt that all of the students were familiar with the material I was presenting, and that the course had been improperly described, and this was her way of pushing me into the subjects she wanted to learn about.

I tried to take her aside between sessions, but she made a point of forcing me to talk to her in front of a large group of other students, and when I asked if she could try to let others answer, she got very angry and stormed off to talk to my boss. Later I heard she got a refund and left.

Obviously I was unhappy about all this, but later one of the students came up to me and thanked me for dealing with the problem. I hadn't realized until that point that the other students might actually understand the situation and agree with the need to change it. Not only was I grateful for the comment, but it made me realize that students are often smarter and more observant, and interested in learning, than it may seem!

I have had many of the problem students discussed in this section but I have the ultimate "know-it-all" right now and it is getting out of hand. She sits in the front row (of course) and not only does she burst out the answer, sometimes I have to let her know that I am the teacher and I will give the lecture. I hate to squelch her enthusiasim but the students sitting behind her are starting to roll their eyes when she answers. I have tried to be more specific in calling on individuals but I think it is time for "the talk". Other than this, and the cards, has anyone had success with other methods?

Hi Carrie,
A firm, private, conversation works extremely well with this type of student. This talk will nip things in the bud. Focus on ending the talk with positivity.

Patricia Scales

Sign In to comment