Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

new instructor

What tips would you give to orienting a new instructor who has not taught before ?

Hi Joyce,
You need to be thoroughly prepared and extremely confident.
Patricia

I agree. Confience is key to a new instructor. I myself am new at this and am finding that if the students can feel that you are not on your "game" so to speak.

Hi Donna,
Once students lose confidence in your abilities, it is hard for you as the instructor to rebound. Confidence is a must as well as being knowledgeable in your subject matter.
Patricia

If possible go to your classroom several days early and see how it is set up. If you have a roster of your students make name cards for them. Have a fun ice breaker activity so it helps relax you as well as your students. Plan out and practice your first few sessions will help give you confidence.

Hi Barrie,
Super advice! Preparation is key! Preparation will give you the confidence that you need so that your anxiety level is minimized.
Patricia

Hi Joyce

I recommend having the instructor sit in with other more seasoned instructors and observe their methods of teaching

Preparation is very important, although you cannot account for every situation that might come up during a class period.
Being open-minded and friendly is also very important: show the students that you are excited about teaching the course and that you value each of them.

I agree that preparation is one of the biggest aspects to success, but I would say that energy and your excitement is bigger. Students respond to energetic and passionate instructors. Knowing you subject matter is important, but there are a lot of people that know the information that cannot inspire a classroom. I feel like everyday you have to inspire the students and your passion should be infectious!

I agree that portraying confidence is key; then you can engage the class, and wow them with your real world experience! Students love to listen to stories/examples from your experience in the field. It also establishes your credibility.

Hi Brandon,
Great response! You have to know how to sell the student on coming back the next day. Selling them to come back the next day requires preparation, knowledge, compassion, enthusiasm, and professionalism. Make your students where they do not want to miss your class.
Patricia

Kerry,

I agree 'Confidence is key'. Often having a great sense of confidence can overwrite the average students lack of interest.

When I was younger I worked for an electronics store as a sales representative. Being young I would talk to one of the more seasoned sales reps after I would speak to a customer to see what his opinion was. One time after a sale I asked him what he thought and he mentioned that a few details that I provided were not 100% accurate. Nothing that would change the users experience, just a slight detail that he picked up on.

I expressed my frustration and he said it didn't matter, it was a small detail and I was so confident it didn't matter that I had the information wrong.

Teaching wrong information is of course a bad thing to do, but maintaining confidence in your abilities will push you beyond the slight problems.

Joyce,

Yes, I agree with our colleagues that you almost need to be overly-prepared for your class, particularly at the beginning of your career.

Also, establishing a definite boundary between you and your students is extremely important.

YOU are the facilitator and lead the classroom - not the students.

Deena

Be confident in yourself. Let your student's know that you will be fair, but all class rules will be followed. Let them know you are there for them and then be there for them.

I agree with being energetic. I think an instructors personality or lack of also plays a role in a classes ability to get excited about the subject matter they are learning.

I try to be overprepared. I learned fast when I lectured my first class and what I had prepared at home went by so fast when I did it in class. I now take my time and come prepared for other activities even if I do not plan to utilize them. Kim

One of the tips I give new instructors is to try to empathize with the students. You must be able to put yourself in their shoes to understand what they could possibly be feeling or how they are interpreting your class. Be yourself at all times, be well prepared, and be ready to change your lesson plan for the day if you feel that you are losing the students attention.

Scott

Hi Scott,
We do have to empathize with students, but you can not let pity get in the way of eforcing rules, policies, and procedures. In the real world rules are made and expected to be followed, regardless.

Patricia Scales

Sign In to comment