Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

guest speakers

I love the idea of using guest speakers at key times when students may be feeling overwhelmed and contemplating dropping out of school.

We have several amazing graduates who overcame unbelievable obstacles, so I would love to invite them to share their stories--not just in core courses.

Guest speakers make all the difference. It can be a bit disconcerning at first when the guest speaker says some of the same things that you have been saying(that your students are not getting) but they"get it" when the speaker tells them. Its a great reinforcement tool....the student all of a sudden says..."wow! my instructor DOES know what they are talking about!!!"

Hi Kristine,
Guest speakers are great motivators. They really add validation to classroom theory.
Patricia

Guest speakers are a great idea! It will help the student identify with speakers strengths, weaknesses, struggles but most important preserverance. The speaker is a testimony of hard work and its rewards. The guest will represent where the student wants to be and all they have to do is what is required of them and push forward the reach their goals.

Hi Natasha,
Guest speakers have great testamonies to share with students. Students love hearing from guest speakers, especially GRADUATE guest speakers.
Patricia

I have also had success using former students as guest speakers. However, all the current practitioners who have spoken in my classroom have really brought out the best in the students. They love seeing what the future holds for graduates.

I have found that having guest speakers motivates students by identifing the roles that could be possiable for them and gives insight into the future.

I love catching previous students, graduates and work study students walking our halls, when this happens I run to my door and try to drag them into class.
I sometimes see a dull or disinterested look in students eyes in class as they wonder when they are ever going to use this A&P theory in the workplace, they aren't going to be doctors after all. These are the real recievers I have in mind for the guest speakers.
When a previous student can come to the class, having similar background as the current student and having succeeded. It really has a powerful impact on the outlook of the current student.
It seems like a lot of my students can relate to the "someone from the neighborhood made it" idea. They are more likely to listen and take to heart the suggestions coming from a previous student, even if I had said the same thing myself a minute earlier.
Try it, it works.

Sign In to comment