Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Dealing with rude students

In recent years, students have become more disrespectful to instructors and fellow classmates. How do you handle this situation?

I'm afraid I'm not very good at it. I think it's best to talk to the student privately if at all possible, but sometimes it's easier to just let it go.
Any advice?

I have dealt with many rude students in my years of teaching, and the best way to deal with them is privately. I ask them what is bothering them, and what can we do to calm the situation down. I also emphasize that rudeness creates a hostile environment, and an employer expects professional behavior, both verbally and physically.

Hi Laurie,
Never let it go! Deal with rudeness immediately and swiftly. Students have to know that you are in control. Give them one warning, and if the rudeness continues, simply remove them from your class. Once students see that you are not playing their behavior will change for the better.
Patricia

Hi Janet,
Do not allow it. Warn the disrespectful student, if the student continues to be disrespectful remove the disrepectful student from your classroom.
Patricia

Laurie,

I totally agree with Patricia. In my experience, when I dealt with the rudeness quickly...and privately...I found an amazing turnaround in the student's behavior. Students are known for testing the teacher. Now it's up to us to pass the test!

I agree that dealing with rude behavior immediately is best. I have sent students to the director when they have crossed the line in class, and I have also had to take a ten minute break for everyone to recompose themselves, including myself. When I returned, I moved on, and did not revisit the "ghost" of what happened. My experience has been students want & need the teacher to manage the class. Also, having good communication with your dean and assistant deans & other faculty is good too. That way, they are supportive of your choices of classroom management.

Hi Janet,
Absolutely! Control is everything. Deal with situations as they arise in order to prevent escalation.
Patricia

I think you guys touched onthe two most important issues here when dealing with rudeness. First, make sure it is delt with imediately and in private. There are very few situations where you want to reprimand a student (especially an adult student) in front of the class. Second, having an administration that communicates with and supports you in these situations is essential to effectively managing them. They have to be there to support your decisions and practices, but it's your responsibilty to make sure they are aware of them.

I completely agree with your method of resolving the issue of rudeness is swiftly. You set the tone and the students then will know where the boundries lie. The taking 10 minute break approach allows everyone to calm down and refocus on the task/work at hand. Sometimes we have to remember personality/difference of opinion can spark some of these issues. In one of the classes I teach we welcome some form of conflict in the discussion as a health way to see how students handle conflict and resolution in a work related setting. If they get carried away I like to make the statment in class that we should "teach people how to treat us" but also to use respect as well. With the use of good communication they then can start to see the other point of view and can agree to disagree without alot of excess comment or rudeness. If it does get out of hand, good suppport from your deans and other faculty is key to successful resolution and classroom harmony.

I agree with both a certain amount of ignoring and talking with the student in private. Some students don't even know that others perceive their comments as rude--they were permitted to speak to adults like this when they were growing up and no one has ever called them on it. If the student is "workable," they will respond appropriately to honest feedback. I think one of the most important things is for the instructor not to get emotional--you are not the first person the student has spoken to this way.

Hi Paula,
I fully understand. If you aren't taught any differently then you think this type of behavior is acceptable. We must give our students as much constructive feedback as possible in order to make them a better professional.
Patricia

Yes I completely agree. You must address it immediatley. I had one student who just burst out screaming because she didn't understand the subject matter and was unprepared for class. I gave my class a 20 minute break and took the student aside privitely. She brought to my attention that she was bi-polar and was not on medication. I immediatley reported this to the dean of students so my student could receive proper medical attention. From this experience, I understand that some students do have underlying conditions that may interfere with their behavior. This doesn't excuse all of them of course. We need to investigate as to why this behavior is present. You may be surprised by the reason behind it.

The one thing I encountered with rude students, if you try to understand why they are behaving like that and try to relate to them, you may have more control over the situation. One thing I always do is make sure on day one, I set the rules down and always let them know who is the leader. I don't handle tardiness very well and if it does happen deal with the situation immediately, so they know you mean business!!

Sign In to comment