Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Center Stage

I like for students to have fun during the learning process. It becomes a problem when students constantly jokes around in class.

I usually run into problems with students like these. I think it is a great idea to have them as observers or do the Use-it wisely cards

I agree that although these students bring about good discussion at times, they do tend to monopolize the class time and instructor attention. I think assigning them the observer role is a great method to make them feel important and yet occupy their time!

I have talked to some of these students, and a surprising number of them do not realize that they are being disruptive. They truly believe that they are contributing; somehow making the class more exciting for the other students. Sometimes other students telling them to shut up is more effective than anything I do.

Agreed - when other students tell "Johnny" in my Business Management class to shut up - he realizes that he is just babbling on and on and it usually keeps him quiet for 10 minutes or so. However, I have other "center stage" students that take over then. I'm going to try colored index cards with who are observers, question askers, and question answerers.

This is a good idea...I have never thought of this. Did it work? I often get criticized about letting students take over...

Eye contact really works on my students that want to be center stage. The key is to move around the room. Keep close by those students being disruptive, however, NEVER STOP YOUR LECTURE. You can use eye contact, shaking of your head, etc. Most of the time it works, however, if I have the student that ignores me, I will discuss it with them privately up to dismissal if it does not stop.

The reason that I say "never stop your lecture" is the students who are actually listening and active in the class, get aggravated because more focus goes on the students that don't want to be there.

One of my students is a classic center stage, it's-all-about-me-love-me-or-hate-me personality. He is constantly talking and joking in class and oftentimes disrupts the learning of his peers. He is also quick to blurt out the answer to any question I ask, without giving his classmates any time to think about the question. But I do like him because he energizes the class and facilitates classroom discussions. So I tried a simple strategy that so far has worked to tone down his effervescence. I had him sit in the front of the class, right in front of me. Somehow this made him a little more reserved in his responses.

Sign In to comment